Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/14/2003 11:07:49 AM EDT
Just purchased a new flat top. The finish is dark. Blackish/gray. The outside seems to have recieved a good coating but the rear is light gray, silverish where the anodizing is very thin. The interior surfaces reflect the same thin anodizing. I've owned 6 AR's, all Colts and have never noticed the lack of finish.

Will my upper wear differently with the lack of interior finish? Should I send it back?

I've heard of uppers having a dry film coating/lube. Do all uppers have this?

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 2:53:44 PM EDT
If it's a Bushmaster upper, the light gray is almost certainly a dry lube coating, which has been applied OVER the anodising. If so, woory not[:D]. It's to assist w/breakin. If you hadn't specified it was a flat top, I would have asked if it was a milsurp M16 or A1 upper, since I've seen many w/ that coating also. Now the Colt experts on this board will tell you that Colt never put that coating on their pieces. Who am I to argue with them[:D]? All I know is that I've got two mil surp Colt uppers with exactly that color and coating.
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 4:49:15 PM EDT
Its a flat top that was purchased from an advertiser on the board who says it is by the same company that supplies BM and RR. It has a "keyhole" logo on the right side. What is strange is that my new BM barrel will not slide into the opening. It goes in about an 1/8 of an inch and gets stuck. In a Colt upper, the BM barrel slides in perfect and snug.
Top Top