Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/13/2003 4:17:16 PM EDT
I am in the midst of rebuilding my upper. I like the idea of a flattop in order to accomodate a scope for service rifle competitions, but I am reluctant to mess with Stoners design. What are your feelings?
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 6:51:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Go ahead....mess with it.  The gun is going to function the same regardless if you currently have an A1 or A2 upper.  All the important functional design features exist in ALL upper receivers.  Changing out the upper receiver to a A3 flat-top will have no impact on function.
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 7:58:22 PM EDT
[#2]
If you mean NRA or CMP Service Rifle competition you may not use a flat top receiver.  The rifle that you use must have a reasonable representation of a stock A2 rifle.  Even a removable carry handle fails to meet the regulations.
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 9:34:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Flat top, unless you're shooting competition...which you say you will be doing.  I'm pretty sure you can't use a scope in a service rifle match anyway, so it might be a moot point.  Match shooters, help us out here!  

The flexibility of the flat tops for optics is a winner in my book...I've got 5 AR type rifles (4 ARs and the DPMS .308), and they're all flat tops.  They're all scoped and/or red dotted, so for me, it's the only way to go.  

I was never in the service, and don't have any emotional attachment to the original design, but some guys do.  Some folks don't like the flat tops because of the way they look.  Get what you like best, but if you're gonna put any kind of glass on it, then get the flat top...you'll be much happier.  
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 9:45:10 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a A2 and now I wished I went with the Flat top. My next upper I build will be the A4 model. I would like to put a scope on my AR but it looks a little dorkey with a scope on the handle.
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 10:24:21 AM EDT
[#5]
If you think you might ever want to put a scope on that AR, definitely go with a flattop.  However, as was pointed flattops aren’t allowed in certain types of competition.

It might be worth checking out the competition area here on ARFCOM.  Those guys can give you the straight poop.  You may find yourself best served with an A2 upper for competitions and an A3 upper for scope work.
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 11:09:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You may find yourself best served with an A2 upper for competitions and an A3 upper for scope work.
View Quote

The un-official ARFcom motto;  "get both"
[:D]
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 2:25:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Got an A2, regret I didn't get a flattop.. I had to settle for a suboptimal configuration I'm trying to financially dig myself out of. The added flexibility is well worth the extra cost.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top