Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/12/2003 3:08:55 PM EDT
I was at a show once in Central IL, and happened to see some kits and uppers from one of the "big name" distributors from the Chicago Area (I think it was Model 1, but I can't remember).  I remember being very turned off at the quality of the finish.  It was VERY black and looked like paint.  However, I know a friend of mine has a Bushmaster, and the finish is more of a "parkerized" matte look, and is definitely not painted.  Are the finishes on kits from J&T, M&A, and Model 1 typically black paint?  This was a few years ago, so things may have changed.  However, seeing that really turned me off to buying a kit.  Any insight?
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 5:02:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I got a kit from model 1 and have one from m&a and both are good quality and do not look like paint they look like any other only some different manufactures may have a slightly darker or lighter finish but not much.
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 5:09:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a Rock River lower and bought a JT kit
and the color match is near perfect, and looks
the same as any other you might buy complete.
The gray stock tone is darkened easily with
a little clp rubdown. That only thing on mine that has black paint is on of my cheap US mags
that I keep in it for effect.....
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 12:47:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I've had a bushmaster and its finish was the best ive ever seen on any rifle, it was very tuff dark stuff. I now have a mod 1 i built and to be honest the upper finish does kinda look painted and it sucks, chips very easily. I would still do it again though.
Jeremy
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 2:05:12 PM EDT
[#4]
My Model 1's finish is just as good as my RRA lower and its color match is perfect too. The finish scratches no easier than my RRA lower either. J
[img]http://mysite.verizon.net/vze6kf2w/PICT0003.JPG[/img]
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 12:38:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Some 80's and early 90's Bushmaster pieces will look like they were painted, its not really paint its more like enamel, they are quality pieces just like any other BM.
The Black oxidized Finish on J & T is the most beautiful finish you will see on a AR but i believe J & T now has plans to start Parkerizing thier Gun parts soon Just like BM.
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 1:37:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the replies, everyone.  Much appreciated!

I think I will end up getting a J&T parts kit, with an Eagle Arms or DPMS lower.  From what I have read, that should give me a pretty good AR-15.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top