Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/5/2003 8:10:12 PM EDT
After spending many months collecting the necessary tools, I stripped my pre-ban A1 Commando carbine down to the frame and reassembled it as an A2 w/16" barrel.

Next I built a post-ban A1 from scratch using my A1 upper, gov't surplus furniture, a gov't surplus barrel with a ground off bayo lug and Cav Comp on a Stinger Arms Lower.

After the A1, I put a barrel on Sparsky's A4 upper and returned it to him.

Since I survived the the carbine conversion and Sparsky survived my barrel assembly, I felt it was time to build a rifle for myself.

Thus was born the AR15A13 - Mega Machine Magical Mystery Parts Gun.

My first purchase was of a Stinger Arms lower, made by Mega Machine Co. of Olympia, WA.

Next, I purchased a Mega A3 upper at the next Puyallup, WA gunshow.

The internal parts, I got from Sparsky in Texas, who claimed he did not know who manufactured them.

I got the barrel from a local gun shop. It was an unfinished stainless steel threaded hvy barrel, and the dealer claimed he had no idea who manufactured it. I had the dealer flute the barrel with .187 flutes (because that was what he had) and deburr the flashing on the inside of the barrel where the gas port was drilled.

The flat top gas block, charging handle, bolt carrier group, buffer and spring I got from Oly Arms at the local Monroe, WA gun show.

The Bushmaster detachable carry handle was purchased in the EE and I got an RRA detachable front site directly from RRA.

The furniture is surplus A1, with the exception of the duck bill pistol grip, which I purchased through the EE. I had to press the front of the heat shields into the hand guards and open up the front end of the handguards with my dremel, slightly, to allow for the heavy barrel contour.

Since it is an A3 style firearm, with A1 furniture, I have designated it the AR15A13.

Assembly has taken place over a matter of months as parts were aquired. There has been plenty of time to check my work.

The trigger is smooth and light, in the 5 lb. range.

The barrel has been checked with the GO, NO-GO  and FIELD gauges and passed all tests. (I am going to assume a SAAMI chamber, to be safe) and the twist rate, when compared to my other rifles, appears to be 1:9 twist.

I lubed the rifle with FP-10 and then chambered and ejected some test rounds, it appears to operate smoothly, with no binding during the cycle.

I really enjoy the sight picture, using the A1 buttstock and I like the flat bottom feel of the A1 handguards.

I am still in the fondling stage, I haven't fired it yet, but I'm running out of excuses...

Link Posted: 10/5/2003 10:07:57 PM EDT
[#1]
GO SHOOT IT!!!!!  You are getting to be as bad as me....get new things/stuff and wait to play.

May I ask how much you have invested in it????

Link Posted: 10/5/2003 10:23:41 PM EDT
[#2]
It's sitting there at around $700 bucks, including fluting, which was $80 bucks.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 6:12:30 AM EDT
[#3]
That's a very nice rifle, I'm really impressed.  Looks a little like something I wanted to do, and you showed me what it would look like.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 12:38:49 PM EDT
[#4]
OK. I dood it. Fired 250 rounds down range with CavVet up at Granite Falls. It even bump fired. I was shooting Olympicrap ammo & had a couple FTF (hard primers) but no FTE.

The rifle is tight, accurate and smooth as silk. Other than the Mega Machine receivers, which work like they are one piece, instead of two, it is a nearly random collection of parts.

I'm happy.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 3:56:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice!  Especially for it being built by such an old codger such as Bunny Boy [;)]
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top