Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/5/2003 2:42:00 AM EDT
I finally got around to throwing a parts kit (DPMS)and buttstock onto a stripped lower (RRA) for the first time yesterday.  Total time was 55 minutes not counting tool roundup and work area setup/takedown.

I had always read that installing the bolt catch rollpin was the best opportunity to scratch up the receiver.  I covered all vulnerable areas of the receiver with duct tape.  My 3/32" rollpin punch doesn't have the sleeve to hold the pin when starting it.  Instead, I cut about 1/2" off the end of a stick pen cartridge (no ink), chewed on it a bit to soften it up (I know - gross) and then put the rollpin in one end and the punch in the other.  This way there is just enough flex so you can get the drive end of the punch above the rear receiver ring where the ext. tube screws in, but is still straight enough to easily drive the pin through the 2 holes and the bolt catch.  Worked very slick and no damage to the receiver.

I used the clevis pin trick for the front pivot pin.  The thing that took the longest was  driving the rollpin through the front triggerguard strap holes.  Very slow going.

Everything seems to be working properly mechanically.  If it doesn't rain again today, I'll try and get it to the range
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 5:37:49 AM EDT
[#1]
...the end of a stick pen cartridge (no ink), chewed on it a bit to soften it up...
View Quote

Doesn't that brass ink refill hurt your teeth???

Good tip! I think maybe I'll try a swizzle stick [hollow] from my local bar for that...
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 11:22:21 AM EDT
[#2]

Nice tips.

What do you think about the DPMS parts kit? How is the quality compared to the RRA?

Link Posted: 10/6/2003 1:51:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Swizzles might work if the inside diameter is just right so they hold the parts tight enough without splitting.  They just may not flex as much as thicker plastic.  

The DPMS parts kit was fine.  Park on a few parts is a little lighter than the dark RRA anodizing, but this is intended as a "how inexpensively can I build it" project so aesthetics are secondary.  As noted above, the triggerguard strap rollpin was the only part that didn't easily go into place.  Probably could have drilled the holes in the receiver out one drill size for an easier fit.

Never got to shoot yesterday as the grass was longer and leaves deeper than anticipated.  
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top