Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/4/2003 3:29:33 PM EDT
My Colt Pre-Ban Green Label(?) has the standard 2 position tele stock. I was going to replace the backplate with the sling attachment retaining plate from GG&G to attach/clip my sling to that area, rather than the back of the tele stock.

Well, there appears to be two spots where during assembly, the locking nut for the buffer tube was pinched or punched to further secure the nut from removal.

I bought a cheap spanner wrench which promptly bent and then broke without budging the locking nut! I am hesitant to use a pipe wrench, which would prob work, but bugger the locking nut for good.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for ANY responses.
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 2:22:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/5/2003 1:25:42 PM EDT by AK_Mike]
easy610, Colt's standard procedure is to "stake" on the retaining ring. I was also hesitant, but recently took two rings off of two Colt's. I used the spanner wrench that has one tooth and a hole for a ratchet wrench (no long arm on the tool). The rings came off, no problem. All you need is a good wrench. There are some that even have three teeth for extra grip. I think I got my wrench from Brownells, and is about the size of your pointy finger when curved. Thick, and meant to only be used with a torque wrench or breaker bar. The locking nuts aren't expensive at any rate. Some have used various wrenches and taped the ring to prevent damage, others used punches and hammers, but I really would recommend the proper wrench, especially when dealing with the Colts.
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 11:36:35 AM EDT
Thanks for the info. Guess I'll invest in the right tool...god knows I've spent enuff in other pieces for the Colt. Just ordered ARMS SIR(c) and an EoTech....time to spend on tools....thanks again....
Top Top