Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2003 6:06:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/28/2003 6:59:54 AM EDT by bsbg]
My DPMS multipurpose AR wrench broke while attempting ro remove a flash hider. Had to finish the project with a pipe wrench:

There is an obvious flaw in the casting, so I will try a "warranty" claim with DPMS, but does anyone have another recommendation?

Link Posted: 9/28/2003 6:11:35 AM EDT
Wow! I have a DPMS wrench, but it's been great so far. Smith Enterprises makes a good wrench too - might be worth checking out.
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 10:21:18 AM EDT
Sometimes I start to think the standard USGI combo wrench and good torque wrench is all you need.
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 12:04:07 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Yojimbo: Sometimes I start to think the standard USGI combo wrench and good torque wrench is all you need.
View Quote
Been using one that's so old it still has the slots for the three prong suppressor, for about 25 years. still works[:D]
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 12:27:12 PM EDT
I've got an Olympic Arms wrench. Big, strong, and only $22 to boot. Ghost
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 1:33:07 PM EDT
I recommend you buy the Brownell's barrel wrench which grips each cog of the barrel nut for about 270 degrees of the nut (the opposite side of the wrench end has the standard 3 pins like the military style tool--if you ever need it). Works really well when removing a heavily torqued barrel nut--much better than the DPMS wrench which grips by pins only.
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 4:13:19 PM EDT
That blows. I have the same wrench. It is unsettling to see that. I bought it because I could also install FF HGs. Have you discussed this with DPMS yet? I suspect they would probably want to square this up with you.
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 5:20:57 PM EDT
That discolored portion of the broken surface appears to be an indication of an already present flaw in the material before use. Contact DPMS and send them you pics. I strongly feel that you may have a warranty issue with them.
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 6:29:46 PM EDT
I emailed the picture to DPMS, and here is what they had to say: ------------------------------------------------- > Ken Thank you for contacting DPMS Panther Arms I am sorry the wrench does not have a warranty on it. We have since redesigned the Multi-tool to prevent such a problem. Thank you for your impute and if you would like to order another one please feel free to give me a call. Thank You Joe Carlson DPMS Law Enforcement Sales Dept. ------------------------------------------------- Looks like I am out of luck there, but they would be happy to sell me another one. I don't think so.
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 6:36:29 PM EDT
That's bullshit! It's obvious from looking at it that it was a problem from the factory. I would send them a letter letting them know why you won't be buying another one and that you let all of your friends know also.
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 6:47:55 PM EDT
Exactly, and don't forget to tell them you posted the photos on at least two threads on AR15.com. (Do they have an area in the Industry section?) You'd think they would just send you out one to hush you up. Some companies must learn the hard way...
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 8:00:22 PM EDT
We have since redesigned the Multi-tool to prevent such a problem.
View Quote
Damn, he admits that there is something wrong with the orginal design that causes it to break, then refuses to give you a complimentary replacement. Screw-em. Order one from Smith Enterprise, or Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 1:15:23 AM EDT
So its true? When i were just getting into AR's i heard about thier lousy Customer service so i didnt buy anything from them probably never will.
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 4:15:36 AM EDT
DPMS has a forum in the industry section on this web site. Post the same picture and explanation there. If you could show a close up of the rusted area that would help. I bet they will replace your wrench.
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 2:37:32 PM EDT
DPMS admits to a problem that made them redesign the wrench! Then will not send him a replacement! That is just poor customer relations in my opinion. Well my business can go to someone who stands behind their product.
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 3:28:42 PM EDT
I would mail it to the President of DPMS, along with a phone coversation log from his customer service.
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 3:40:06 PM EDT
I wouldn't buy another wrench or any guns from them ever again. Theres too many other companies out there with quality AR products.
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 4:09:49 PM EDT
An admission, then aplogy, then an offer to buy another!?!? WTF! I can't belive DPMS is doing such a thing! I don't believe I'll suggest anyone buy a DPMS product anymore during my service rifle clinics we conduct at the gun club. What a sorry example of customer service!
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 9:36:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/7/2003 1:15:23 AM EDT by AK_Mike]
I really like the Smith Enterprises wrench. A lot. Never fails me, built tough. I prefer the location of the breaker bar/torque wrench hole better than some of the others (more perpendicular) and tough finish.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 6:22:47 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 7:07:56 AM EDT
Originally Posted By DPMS: Sorry about all the confusion I have my LE guy helping with Emails. I had to let go the person who did most of the emails for DPMS. Sorry you received bad information. I have asked for the wrench to be sent back and I will see that it gets replaced. Dustin DPMS Sales Manager
View Quote
OUTSTANDING! I really figured there must have been a mistake. I looked my wrench over closely and it looks OK, but it's good to know that if it fails, DPMS will stand behind their products. It really is a well designed wrench overall.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 10:51:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/6/2003 10:54:17 AM EDT by samurairabbi]
Nice recovery by the DPMS people. Nice jury-rig with the pipe wrench. I like my Peace River "shorty" barrel nut wrench. The rib that rides INSIDE the barrel nut when the teeth are engaged by the wrench seems to stabilize the wrench on the nut when torquing the wrench. It doesn't have the notches for the accessories, though; fortunately, I not yet needed those notches.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 1:47:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/6/2003 1:54:03 PM EDT by bsbg]
Originally Posted By samurairabbi: Nice jury-rig with the pipe wrench.
View Quote
Well I had to finish somehow...
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 1:53:21 PM EDT
Dustin: Thank you! Ken
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 12:26:47 AM EDT
I had just ordered that same wrench and a action block on Thursday. I saw your post the next night. Then I received a email today saying the action block was out of stock and they asked if I wanted the wrench now or wait for the action block back order. I canceled the order and went with the Oly wrench.
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 2:46:11 PM EDT
I have had nothing but positive experiences with my dealings with DPMS. All-in-all a great company with good products and good customer service.
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 3:16:38 PM EDT
If that's rust in the picture then your wrench was cracked a while ago and subsequently exposed to a solvent. It's possible that it was cracked during machining or heat treat. If that's the case, the oxidation process that turns the steel black would also have caused rust to form in the crack. If this is the first time you've used the wrench I would press DPMS for a FREE replacement. [img]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-6/237024/Broken_DPMS_Wrench.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 3:51:19 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Delta_3_63: If that's rust in the picture then your wrench was cracked a while ago and subsequently exposed to a solvent. It's possible that it was cracked during machining or heat treat. If that's the case, the oxidation process that turns the steel black would also have caused rust to form in the crack. If this is the first time you've used the wrench I would press DPMS for a FREE replacement. [url]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-6/237024/Broken_DPMS_Wrench.jpg[/url]
View Quote
Yes, it's rust. The wrench appears to be cast with an area of porosity in the vicinity of the rust, so I am asuming a casting flaw. I think this was the first time I actually used the flash hider slot (and the last). If you read back a few posts, DPMS has offered to replace it for me.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 3:33:19 PM EDT
interesting. Glad DPMS is replacing the wrench. I have the old faithful GI block wrench for torquing the nuts
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 6:55:08 PM EDT
cryo treat you metal tools barrels etc. works! probably 10 bucks to do it I've treated all my rifles,,drivetrains parts,,some tools. research shows that it works,,,do a knife and check it out.I have a guy near by that I developed a great relationship with when he has extra space that will be wasted he cuts me a deal usually at the last minute,,better a sale at a reduced rate than no sale at all. A few years ago I was his first barrel/reciever customer,,cut me a deal to see how the result were,,then after noticing improvements in groups etc. I refered him to other serious firearms owners.
Top Top