Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/26/2003 6:03:07 PM EDT
I got started with Franken Guns by building FALs, now it's ARs, which are a lot easier than FALs.  Here is the newest:
www.ofoto.com/PhotoView.jsp?UV=253476166745_176688570103&collid=864923570103&photoid=962398570103

Here are pics with a 6x illuminated scope I had sitting on a shelf, because I forgot about it.  It's mated to ARMS #22 rings.  It shoulders really well with this setup.  This is a really neat scope I got from Kalinka Optics a while back.  The reticle is a cross hair with an open circle in the middle.  It's built like a tank, has excellent glass, but is on the heavy side.  It's a little weird looking, so it belongs on Frankie II.  It was on my shorty FAL for a while.
www.ofoto.com/PhotoView.jsp?collid=864923570103&photoid=896424670103&UV=742467341937_214514670103&refreshkey=1064705850388

ADCO brake
RRA internals
RRA flat top upper
Eagle lower
Bushy freefloat handguard
Colt bolt carrier group
Colt charging handle
Colt barrel
Ace tubular stock

Born on: 26 Sep 2003

Cost: Around $840, but this will drop when I sell the extra Colt parts that came when I bought an unfired complete A2 upper, five new Colt mags, a fixed and folding stock for $250.  It should come in at $600-650 and would've been cheaper withjust the A2 stock that came in the trade.  I'll probably put a RRA two stage trigger in this one eventually.

We have a huge coyote shoot coming up, and this and my Campyclone SAR-2 will be participating.  This will probably get an Aimpoint or a Hakko red dot for that gig.  My SAR-2 has a Kobra.

Jim
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 7:31:45 AM EDT
[#1]
She's Pretty!  And looks a lot like what I envision my current project will look like.  If you don't mind my asking, who'd you buy they ACE stock from?  And do you remember how much?  

Cheers,
Shawn
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 4:25:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Wolffie,

I bought the kit version from Bushmaster which is presently advertised at $144.  I think it was higher when I bought it.  If you don't need the buffer&spring, it should be around $115.
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 1:54:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I just got back from the range, and I haven't begun to realize the rifle's potential, but things are looking very promising. I should have prepared for a more formalized testing a little better.

I was also interrupted when I fixed some other rifles that shooters were having problems with.

I boresighted the Ruski scope and started out at 50 yards to get on paper. I tested the following cartridges:

Winchester 223 55gr FMJ
PMC 223 55gr PSP
American eagle 223 55gr FMJ
Wolf 62 gr FMJ.

The trigger pull on this rifle is around 7 lbs, pretty stiff. It definitely is getting a RRA two stage. In the meantime, I'll give give it the ARFCOM 15 minute trigger job, which should help.

Best group at 50 was the Winchester at 1/2 inch.
Worst group at 50 was also the Win at 1 1/2, but that was me, not the ammo. Believe it or not, the Wolf shot a 1 1/4 and 1" group, which is pretty good for minute of barn door ammo. All were three shot groups, but I'm planning on five shot groups next week.

At 100, I swapped out the russian scope for a  the BSA 6x24 mounted on a one piece Armalite mount that normally resides on my heavy barrel, since I simply needed more magnification. It took me some time to get it worked out and I couldn't get to my target as frequently to patch it up, as the range was getting busy.

The ruski scope should do well for quick acquisition, but it isn't that hot for precision work. I really like it, as it's built like a frigging tank and weighs about as much as one.

Anyway, at 100, the best group was Win @ 7/8" twice. Worst group was Wolf @ a little under 3". I didn't get to finish this, as the other shooters said it was beerthirty and it was time to hiyoko over to the clubhouse.

I have some Federal Gold Medal 77gr and 69 gr set aside for next week.

I also loaded a mixed mag of ammo and fired it at the end. There were no malfunctions of any kind with 85 rounds fired.

One other thing. I bought a Winchester spotting scope at Big 5 for $100. It sucks. I barely could see my shot holes at 100.

I strongly recommend the Armalite one piece mount for the AR series. I like it much more than my ARMS mounts, and it maintains zero when removed/reinstalled on the rifle.

Overall, I am quite pleased.

PS: I added the 50 yard target pic to the album. The 100 yard one is hosed up. I'll post results next week.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 6:24:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
 If you don't mind my asking, who'd you buy they ACE stock from?  And do you remember how much?  
Cheers,
Shawn
View Quote

i bought mine from JD tactical a guy who usually sells on ebay, for $129 that includes buffer, tube, spring and buttpad.

he has the collapsable type (preban) on ebay now for $159
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top