Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/23/2003 3:50:28 AM EDT
Brownells sells the stuff as do other suppliers, and a lot of people offer this service for varied fees. Now hard hard can this stuff be to use yourself at home? I guess the hardest part is finding a big enough oven? Or is there more to curing this stuff than I think?
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 9:30:03 AM EDT
Edblevi, The stuff Brownells sells isn't too hard to use. I refinished a 1911 with one of their spray cans. As many people have said here before, the spray cans are a little heavy on the spray. An airbrush would give a finer and more easily controlled spray, but the cans do work. As for actually using the stuff just follow the directions on the can. Bead/sand blast, clean with degreaser, heat parts, spray and back. DO NOT try spraying this stuff indoors, unless you already have a paint booth setup. Once the parts have been sprayed the smell and fumes aren't bad. And you can get away with using the kitchen oven if your parts will fit. I did this one night when the wife was gone. The next day she had no idea. I don't believe the durability of the do it yourself sprays is anywhere near that of the professional sprays. After about 10 presentations from a holster the finish was rubbing off on my handgun. However, for $25 it works for me, until I can have it redone by a pro. Hope this helps. Scott
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 8:36:03 PM EDT
Its not hard. The problem is that paint on firearms is chessy, with the possible exception of a POS AK.
Top Top