Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/20/2003 3:23:51 PM EDT
Hey All,

For a while I've been lusting over a RRA Varmint Model, (like the one in last months American Rifleman) and recently I got the idea of building one myself.  I can't foot the cash for a complete rifle, and I expect that it'll take me a while to buy all the parts.  I'm a grad student, and it'll be easier to buy a piece at a time, than the whole rifle, so I expect it to take a couple of years.  It'll also raise fewer eyebrows with my fiancee if I sneak it in a piece at a time...  :) ("Honey what'er ya doing?)  Needless to say, I want to try to build a quality, "tack driver," with some inevitable concessions because I'm on a budget.  

So, I thought I'd solicite some advice from everyone here.  First off, I think I've decided on the RRA forged lower housing.  Is this the best piece for the money?  Will the reciever have a huge impact on the ultimate accuracy?  Then what would you recommend for a trigger?  The RRA NM?  Is there a better trigger for the money?  All of my other guns have had trigger jobs to break at around 2 1/2 to 3 pounds, or (like my Kimber .45) have come with competiton triggers.

I'm gonna want to mount a scope, so an A4 style upper is probably the choice.  Any suggestions?  Then, is there any real advantage to a Chrome or TiN coated Bolt Carrier?  Would you recommend putting together the upper myself or saving up for a while and buying it?  Is there any real advantage of the 24" barrel over a 20"?  Light weight won't be a serious issue for me.  And what manufacturer would you recommend?  

And finally, where do you buy most of your parts?  The Gun List, gun shows, a local dealer, online?  And does anyone know of anyone in the Piedmont region of NC who specializes in these sorts of things?  Any good guides on doing it right (especially the upper).

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 3:32:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Check the banner advts. here, they're pretty good vendors.
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 3:34:10 PM EDT
[#2]
uh..dunno bout those manufactors RRA ,etc. i have my Urban Franken-AR built on a Bushmaster superlight barrel, with DPMS lo-pro upper and oly lower and ace stock.

i would go with Bushmaster on the barrel (cause its all i know)

as far as lowers, i would not get the oly, ihave it and the trigger is horrible and the edges are "sharper" than a bushmaster.

The DPMS upper is great, it fit perfectly to the barrel and the lower, i wanted a superlight weight rifle so i didnt need all the crap on the sides.

Ya should be able to build the rifle ya want for 600bux -/+ , i would start hanging around gunshops and get to know the ppl and talk to them, once your on the 'INSIDE' youll get awhole lot better deals.

I get most parts from my dealer , cause i can get em at cost. lol

but ya can get parts from a whole lot of sources, jus check the INDUSTRY button on the top of this screen. I stay away from gunshow , i havent seen too many deals, some deals can be had through SHotgun news. so dunno, it really shouldnt take that long ( 2 years???) to build a rifle, also what about Ammo, MAgs, Optics, shooting protection (eyes and ears) Targets, cleaning and maintance materials, cases, etc. I understand the budget aspect, but also as others may tell ya , its addictive.

[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid60/p6b36b80306374167922aa84d9cd3f668/fc4790e3.jpg[/img]

as far as chrome bolts go, i dont know, i personally cant see spending the money, jus keep your bolt in good shape but properly cleaning it and having spare parts around.

also if ya put the Upper together yourself ya need a special tool to do it properly and alot of noob have a tough time tryin to the barrel nut tight and keeping everything aligned.
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 3:35:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Hey All,
View Quote

First off Welcome!

For a while I've been lusting over a RRA Varmint Model, (like the one in last months American Rifleman) and recently I got the idea of building one myself.  I can't foot the cash for a complete rifle, and I expect that it'll take me a while to buy all the parts.  I'm a grad student, and it'll be easier to buy a piece at a time, than the whole rifle, so I expect it to take a couple of years.
View Quote

Once you start it will happen FAST!

It'll also raise fewer eyebrows with my fiancee if I sneak it in a piece at a time...  :) ("Honey what'er ya doing?)  Needless to say, I want to try to build a quality, "tack driver," with some inevitable concessions because I'm on a budget.  

So, I thought I'd solicite some advice from everyone here.  First off, I think I've decided on the RRA forged lower housing.  Is this the best piece for the money?
View Quote

Quality lowers are available from many places, Eagle Arms, RRA, MEGA come to mind.

Will the reciever have a huge impact on the ultimate accuracy?
View Quote

The lower won't.

Then what would you recommend for a trigger?  The RRA NM?Is there a better trigger for the money?
View Quote

I have 2 of these and like them, better are available.

All of my other guns have had trigger jobs to break at around 2 1/2 to 3 pounds, or (like my Kimber .45) have come with competiton triggers.

I'm gonna want to mount a scope, so an A4 style upper is probably the choice.
View Quote

EOP's are avaliable (elevated optical platforms) RRA offers some. Armalite has a good mount as well that gets the scope up on a std FT upper.

Any suggestions?  Then, is there any real advantage to a Chrome or TiN coated Bolt Carrier?
View Quote

I went standard USGI and like all of mine.

Would you recommend putting together the upper myself or saving up for a while and buying it?
View Quote

Requires tools, equipment time and patience.

Is there any real advantage of the 24" barrel over a 20"?
View Quote

Yes and no. I have both and use the 24's for target/varmint.

Light weight won't be a serious issue for me.

And what manufacturer would you recommend?  

And finally, where do you buy most of your parts?  The Gun List, gun shows, a local dealer, online?
View Quote

Some very good resources are right here for parts and building guidance. I'd go with RRA, MEGA or Eagle Arms personally. A MEGA combo (lower, FT upper and charging handle from Iblis) is about $180 shipped. I did one of them and like it.

And does anyone know of anyone in the Piedmont region of NC who specializes in these sorts of things?  Any good guides on doing it right (especially the upper).
View Quote

No on anyone in N.C. Hope I helped some, in a hurry.

MM419  best wishes!

Thanks in advance.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 4:16:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Die,

You are talking about the oly having a horrible trigger. Whats wrong with it? Pull too hard? rough?

And the sharpness, do you mean that the edges just havent been smoothed off or is it something else?

Thanks alot
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 4:46:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the help,

What are the "better triggers out there?"  And how do they compare cost wise?  The reason it'll take a couple of years, is just that it'll take me that long to scratch together money for all the parts.  

If I buy the upper, any recommendations?  When you go with dealers, are you referring to the mail order places?  I've checked a few local places and none of them stock parts...  Any suggestions?  I'll play around in the "Industry links" a bit to see what turns out.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 4:48:13 PM EDT
[#6]
The trigger had horrible creep in it and felt "scratchy" .

the edge i was refering to was the ones directly under the T handle, its boxy and pointy , kinda sharp. My bushmaster Dissy model had smoother edges. Also the place ya put the GAPPER was really bad on the OLy, ya would get blister and it would bug me to shoot it, it had sharp edges there too. The lower works fine, but i had a trigger job done, it helped. I wish i wouldve spent the money on a bushy lower, cost more, but would have been better quality IMO.
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 5:09:50 PM EDT
[#7]
So how about Fulton Armory Lowers?  DPMS prices seem to be pretty tough.  Especially for the forged!  Fulton's prices are comparable to RRA and look like pretty nice pieces...  Of course it is a web advertisement.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 8:06:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Wolfie,

I'd personally buy from a reputable dealer and be sure to check the equipment exchange here.  I tend to shy away from gunshows except to browse and buy ammo.  I'm never really sure about some of the quality, and alot of times (at least around here) you don't get all that great a deal anyway. Check with Steve at ADCO, I highly reccommend him.  I bought my lower parts kit and stock from them, and will be buying my upper from him also.  Prompt and curtious service, quick shipping, $4 flat rate shipping.  He stocks RRA parts, uppers, lowers, stocks , part kits, barrels, etc.

I'd say if you want RRA, get a RRA.  They use wilson barrels like many others, and they're receivers fit tight(good for accuracy)  There are other brands out there, and so long as you go quality you'll be fine.  DPMS has some high-rise uppers too

You may also want to look into a kit from J&T, M&A, or Model1.  You buy the stripped lower through your dealer, and the rest comes in the kit.  They are very reasonably priced too, and allow you to customize at the time you order.  That way you don't end up with a bunch of left over parts that you really didn't want when you are done, then you'll have to build a second for those!

[:)]

You probably want a complete upper first anyway.  Normally they are already head spaced and tested.  You'd have to invest in more tools to do the barreling and stuff too.

The hardest part is deciding what you want, exactly.  There are all kinds of great threads around here, just keep reading and most of your questions are sure to be answered.
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 9:07:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks, I'll give ADCO a look.

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top