Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2003 6:59:31 PM EDT
I am planning to build a low cost .22 upper and would like to get a sanity check from anybody willing to throw in thier $.02.

The plan is to rent a relining drill bit and use a hand drill on a shot out barrel. It is not a chrome lined barrel. I plan to drill the barrel and the Ciener chamber adaptor. I will then run a liner down the whole length, using the accu-glass method. I think the trick will be working out the method of indexing the adaptor with the receiver/ Ciener chamber adaptor's attachment points. I am open to suggestions here, but I think this ought to be doable with the alignment pin and barrel bushing.

I will also rent the chambering and crowning tools and do this myself. I haven't done this  operation before, but it doesn't sound like brain surgery. If all else fails, I have the services of one of the best gunsmiths around to fall back on. He is one of the folks who encourage me to do these crazy projects.

Anyone see any show stoppers?
Thanks in advance,
Slayer
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 7:05:39 PM EDT
[#1]
im not a home gun-smither and i think ill leave it up to the experts to sort out my major problems. IMO i dont think its a good idea, do ya realize how strong that barrel insides are, youll be at it awhile , also if ya screw it up, i dont there would be a gun-smith thatll unf*ck YOUR mess.

2 options, buy the conversion kit or have it done by a professional, your goin to spend alot of money and time on something that could be dangerous, not work or will be horribly unreliable and very inaccurate. but hey like i said im not a gunsmith, what do i know. lol
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 7:14:25 PM EDT
[#2]
That sounds like fun.

But, let me ask this:  Is there a .22 MAGNUM kit available?   It might be a nice option because that caliber takes the same exact barrel caliber as a .223, thereby totally eliminating the need to rebarrel or reline the barrel.  Just add a cartridge adapter and that's that, as far as the barrel assembly goes.

Personally, I'd go for the .22 mag kit over the .22LR kit, assuming that the mag kit wasn't much more expensive, that is.

CJ
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 3:33:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
...do ya realize how strong that barrel insides are, youll be at it awhile , also if ya screw it up, i dont there would be a gun-smith thatll unf*ck YOUR mess.
View Quote

Yup, I realize how strong the barrel insides are. The drill bit that is specifically made for drilling them out is even stronger. It isn't as much effort as you might think. I am more worried about breaking the long bit and having to buy it, ($85 cha-ching). As far as an unrecoverable mess that the best gunsmith can't fix, I don't see it. Worst case, I am out a chamber adaptor, a shot out barrel and a new barrel liner. $30 and thats worst case.

I saw a dedicared .22 mag upper somebody had buil over at the rimfire and pistol calibur forum a few months back. It seems like it took them quite an effort, but results looked excelent.

Forgot to mention that most of the parts I will be using are spare parts, so that softens the cost a bit. Keep em coming. I want to ring this project out mentally before I start.
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 6:44:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Hi PoodleSlayer,
   I've got the same idea about drilling and lining a shot out barrel(I'm waiting on the barrel core now).My plan was to extend the liner all the way to the rear of the original chamber and either ream out the adapter to go over it or just fill the original chamber with epoxy and do away with the insert.
   By either doing away with the insert or extending the liner through the insert,the bullet won't have to travel the extra distance and slam into the rifling.This should improve accuracy quite a bit as the bullet won't get deformed and will be spinning from the start.I think this long freebore (or lead) is  a lot of the problem with poor accuracy along with the twist rate more than the .001 bore oversize.
My 2 cents worth,and let me know how it works for you,Robert.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top