Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/12/2003 9:41:24 AM EDT
For my next build I am toying with building either of the 308 or the 7.62. I was told they are not worth a crap and don't function right. Any truth to this? I assume it is all the same including the carrier and that you just use a different bolt?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 10:16:59 AM EDT
[#1]
I have 3 7.62 ARs. One is a Colt Sporter two are build projects. My Olympic kit required some fine tuning but now runs malfunction free using USA "frankenmags." Is completly unreliable using any other mags.

I recently completed a build on a AR47 lower which uses AK mags. Everthing else is stock AR components. With perhaps 1000 rounds through it no malfunctions. The advantage of this lower is the ability to use the inexpensive AK mags. The disadvantage is the cost of the lower (I paid $325)and th $75.00 to have the necessary modifications to the upper.

When you add up all the costs including 5 30 round mags for each weapon, the costs are almost the same.

As I noted at the begining, you may expect some "tuning issues" if you decide to build the 7.62. My first build I received a bolt with a 5.56 extractor which resulted in failure to extract malfunctions every time the weapon was fired. After correcting that problem I had repeated failure to fire malfunctions. This problem was unique to Wolf amunition (which I built the rifle to use.) This problem was due to inadequate firing pin protrusion and/or hard primers. I filed .0030" of the tail of the bolt to resolve that issue. I then struggled with the magazine issue. Now the weapon eats whatever I feed it. After these problems were resolved I haven't had a malfunction.

Both of my build projects are as reliable and I feel as tactical weapons the equal of the colt.

As to a .308 I have a Armalite but consider it to heavy for a tactical carbine. Magazines are again an issue. Ammo is more expensive. Recoil is significantly greater. Just my opinion but I really enjoy the 7.62x39 more.
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 12:08:35 PM EDT
[#2]
thanks for the input. I wonder why no one gets on the ball and makes a decent 7.62 mag????
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 3:53:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Actualy, Armalite's are some of the best rifles out there.
Check out their web site in the industry forums.
They sell complete rifles, and kits also.
Of course, you do get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 9:03:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I "put together" a .308 - AR10.  Granted, the lower and upper were "complete", it's just I purchased the lower and upper seperate to save some cash.  Beat that tax they stick on "completed" guns.

My lower is an Eagle Arms (the "Chevy" line of Armalite....they own Ealge arms).  The upper is Armalite.  Fits and fires fine.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 8:54:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks, I am still toying with the idea of building one!
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 8:18:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Who makes the AR47 lower??
Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 12:07:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Info available at ar47.com
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top