Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/10/2003 8:03:23 PM EDT
I've read that threaded muzzles are allowed on postban lowers if one uses a thumbhole stock instead of a pistol grip.

Brownell's has some okay looking thumbholes.

Opinions on whether or not this is this a legal config?
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 8:23:36 PM EDT
[#1]
It is the published opinion of the BATF that a thumbhole is in fact a pistol grip - no go.
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 8:30:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes and No.

Yes, if you get rid of the "protruding psitol grip" you can have the threaded muzzle.

However, as paul pointed out... ATF's opinion is that a thumbhole stock has a protruding pistol grip.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 6:07:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Only if the grip is below the receiver.  If you can figure out how to mount a grip inline or above the receiver, it is not considered an evil grip.

A side question, anyone know what a "best grip" means in the credits of a movie?
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 6:24:52 AM EDT
[#4]
I believe the terms are "Best Boy" and "Key Grip".  Refers to the craft trades.  One is the head electrician, the other is the chief carpenter.  I think.  And I don't remember which is which.

Link Posted: 9/11/2003 8:47:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Actually Best Boy Grips and Key Grips have the same job responsibilites but the best boy is like the chief Grip. They do electrical and other set work.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 8:52:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It is the published opinion of the BATF that a thumbhole is in fact a pistol grip - no go.
View Quote

What would be the purpose of having a threaded barrel on a postban?  

You would still be unable to attach a silencer or a flash hider.

TRG
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 6:57:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Well, if the ban sunsets then all one would need to do is trade out the thumbhole stock for a telescoping stock and pistol grip.

No need to hack away at a permanently attached muzzle brake. Just a thought.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top