Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/9/2003 9:41:55 PM EDT
I just bought an ar15 and, unlike my other, the handguards are loose and rattle around.  It is just a bit abnoxious.  The delta ring can easily be pressed down by hand and the guards taken out.  My other is a lot harder to remove the guards.  Is there a simple fix?

Link Posted: 9/9/2003 9:49:12 PM EDT
[#1]
New Handguards.

When they get older, they wear.

If these are new, i don't know what to say
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 10:06:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I have had some handguards that fit real loose on one barrel and then tight on another.  I wonder if the barrel nut makes the difference.  At any rate, I use new Colt carbine handguards on all my uppers as well as new barrel nuts.  Some are still loose.  The way I tighten them up is to take some silicone putty and put it around the teeth and indentations at the base of the handguard where it contacts the teeth of the barrel nut.  Press into place and let it setup for 24 hours, and you will have handguards with no play in them.

Charles Tatum
Alamo Professional Arms
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 5:49:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Before you insert the handguard into the handguard cap, lay a thin strip of innertube over the top of the handguard where it inserts and meets the cap. This should help. It worked on my Colt M4's that were alittle loose.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 8:47:16 AM EDT
[#4]
[b]I have had some handguards that fit real loose on one barrel and then tight on another. I wonder if the barrel nut makes the difference. At any rate, I use new Colt carbine handguards on all my uppers as well as new barrel nuts. Some are still loose. The way I tighten them up is to take some silicone putty and put it around the teeth and indentations at the base of the handguard where it contacts the teeth of the barrel nut. Press into place and let it setup for 24 hours, and you will have handguards with no play in them.

Charles Tatum
Alamo Professional Arms[/b]

Some one else on this board also recommended this type of fix by using the PERMATEX black HI-temp RTV silicon. I have done this to my shorty, just waiting on a good day to go to the range and test it. So far it looks like it will work and the black RTV blends in with the rest of the rifle. Overflow trimmed right off using a razor blade.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top