Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/9/2003 7:24:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/9/2003 7:53:09 PM EDT by 1950styleline]
Hello... My name is josh and have been surfing the forum for awhile now gathering information about how to build your own ar-15...Finally I bought a MEGA lower from iblis on the equipment exchange and he was a pleasure to deal with (didnt think it would be that ez to buy lower over the net)..I then ordered a "parts kit" from JT distributing with a custom 14.5 inch m4 barrel and permanently attached muzzle break but had them leave out all the furniture because Cavalry Arms is here in AZ so i opted for "coyote brown" furniture and a forward grip.

Well today I gave it a shot and after only 40 minutes I had the whole thing together and functioning properly (i think). The instructions on ar-15.com were top notch and told me everything i needed to know..The only tools i used were a set of punches from harbor freight, flat bladed screw driver, and a hammer.

just like to say thank you to this site and all the people that asked my "dumb" questions along the way

thank you very much

josh

ps...Now where do i get magazines and ammo?

http://www.hunt101.com/img/058547.jpg
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 11:59:26 PM EDT
Did the barrel come assembled with the upper? If not, and you didn't use a barrel wrench, I'm impressed! You are right, it doesn't take long. I was cruising ARF, started fiddling with a part, then walked over and built my first rifle in about 30 minutes - didn't realize it was that easy or quick. Didn't really need many tools beyond what you mentioned, but I did need an allen wrench for my grip, and a barrel wrench for my unbarreled upper. Learned most of the tricks here on ARF, and would never have done it before getting hooked on ARF. I hope you got a carry handle with that kit, or are going to get some optics/BUIS. What do you have planned for your beautiful new baby?
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 3:51:21 AM EDT
[peep] Cool, nice color on cav furniture.
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 8:01:55 AM EDT
Today im heading out to purchase 2 magazines, a flip up rear site and either a OKO or eotech site along with some ammuntion so i can hit the desert this weekend and see how it shoots. Oh the kit i bought can with the upper already barreled. Ive heard you dont save that much money buying the upper in pieces because of the tools you have to buy...ie go-nogo gauge etc josh
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 6:27:34 AM EDT
Very nice! I like the green on black look. I just finished one like that as well. How do you like the MEGA lower? I saw a deal on them in Shotgun News from SARCO. I think I am going to build up another one! DG
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 7:48:17 PM EDT
The MEGA lower is top notch and I would recommend buying from Iblis on the equipment exchange..He sells them for 89 dollars shipped to your FFL...You cant beat the price and quality josh
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 3:48:00 AM EDT
Gongrats on your first build. It looks real nice.
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 10:48:35 AM EDT
bayonet lug on a post ban rifle? is the barrel 16inches long? is the stock telescoping? i wouldn't post any more pics if i were you.
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 11:00:41 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 11:23:36 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 12:22:06 PM EDT
What evil features[?] [img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=17498[/img] Nice rifle Josh!
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 1:50:27 PM EDT
i believe that's an illegal shadow from a ghost bayo lug. heheh.
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 12:51:21 PM EDT
The stock is pinned and JB welded in the outward position and i had a local shop here in town machine off the lug after i found out I ordered the wrong barrel...the barrel is in fact 16 inches long with a permanently attached muzzle brake. thx for the info josh
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 1:20:17 PM EDT
Josh, just grind it off yourself. Cut a 5" hole in something like a "Welcome" mat, wrap & tape it around the rifle to protect it. Use the coarse wheel (whatever you use to touch it up will adhere better). [img]www.dealsonwheels.com/database/cars/000347-200308-000012big.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 1:48:00 PM EDT
Great pic of the car Wilson. Do you have any parts etc for the 1950 model>?
Top Top