Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/8/2003 5:41:16 PM EDT
Does anyone have any experience drilling a colt small hole lower to accept the front pivot pin to replace the front pivot screw?

Link Posted: 9/9/2003 3:44:19 AM EDT
Are you talking about drilling the hole in the right side of the receiver for the detent pin and spring for the pivot pin? My small hole colt had one already, i just dropped in the pin and spring and a milspec takedown pin and i was good to go.
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 6:06:35 PM EDT
Yes Curt, that is exactly what I am talking about. Unfortunately, my lower is not pre-drilled.
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 3:50:01 AM EDT
Okay then that's a little more involved. There was a thread or two about this many months ago but since i can't search more than 30 days in the past i won't be able to get it for you. Sigh...maybe i just need to spend the big $20 and become a member.
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 4:27:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/10/2003 8:24:16 AM EDT by HarryD]
Brigadier_92 If you have to drill out the deep hole for the front pivot pin spring and detent, you can get the latest Colt Reciever drawing at www.biggerhammer.com. It is in the AR15/M16 FAQ section. I believe the main hole is 3/32 dia. and the side hole is smaller. The main issue with drilling the deep hole is taking it slow with plenty of lubricant, as the drill bit will tend to "pick-up" aluminum chips. You have to clean off these chips ocassionally as they tend to bond to the tip of the drill bit. Here is a link to the "Builders Squad". http://www.concealcarry.org/ar15/bs-home.htm You will find your question illustrated in detail there.
Top Top