Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/30/2003 12:29:37 AM EDT
Hello I'm trying to decide between 2 upper receivers and I find my self in need of some guidance. I would like a post-ban 20" A2 upper,   the RRA chrome moly standard A2 seems to fit the bill. There are 2 things that make me think the Bushmaster A2 20" upper would be better. The first item is the chrome lined barrel I know that it would be nice to have but is it worth the price for someone on a tight budget who could be buying ammo with that money? Secondly the Bushmaster is chambered for a 5.56 round where as the RRA is a .223 wylde.  This could be the deal breaker, but I haven't been able to find much information about what I can shoot out of the wylde. Can it handle military grade ammo?
I am planning on using this rifle for target shooting and using a RRA lower receiver if either of those things makes a difference in your answer.  

Link Posted: 8/30/2003 12:37:09 AM EDT
[#1]
get the 5.56 chgrome lined.

You'll never regret it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 2:06:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Get the chrome lined. It will last longer and be much easier to clean.
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 11:22:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Get the Chrome-lined barrel.

BTW, get yourself some barrel changing tools too, so that you'll have what you need when you replace that A2 with an A3 upper later on.

Tex78
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 4:34:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Can it handle military grade ammo?
I am planning on using this rifle for target shooting...

View Quote

make up your mind- do you want to shoot mil surplus, or target shoot?

The RRA is considered one of the best budget CMP Service Rifles out there. You are looking at the same barrel, less the free-float.

It has a 1:8 twist, so you can shoot the heavier match bullets... 77 grains and a bit more. You said target shooting, and that means reaching out.

The chrome lining may reduce your barrel's accuracy. However, you can abuse it in full automatic, and it will be a snap to clean after 500 rounds in an afternoon of firefights with flesh eating zombies, when they come to get you. No, wait-- you said TARGET.

Since you said TARGET the answer is a no-brainer. Rock River Stainless Steel barrel.

What the heck are you guys thinking? The dude asks for a TARGET gun, and you advise a Bushmaster upper???

And yes, it will shoot milsurp ammo. Garbage in, garbage groups. If you really want 10 shots sub MOA, you gotta make your own or buy premium ammo.

You will save enough money to buy all your basic reloading gear.

If you would build a rifle, why would you settle for crappy old factory ammo?

Pete
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 10:01:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the input guys, i'm gonna have to keep thinking about this. I've got almost a mouth until  I can buy this so I'll most likely chance my mind 100 times, but thats the nice thing about being able to throw on a different upper later.
Link Posted: 8/31/2003 8:22:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Everything I've read says it's ok to fire .223 ammo with a 5.56 chambered weapon, but you really shouldn't fire 5.56 ammo with a .223 chamber because of a slight difference in shell casing specs.
Link Posted: 8/31/2003 7:11:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
get the 5.56 chrome lined.

You'll never regret it.
View Quote

ditto
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top