Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2003 6:34:10 PM EDT
Just as the subject heading says, I was trying to build a complete DPMS rifle, but I thought about calling it a day and just going with a RRA upper instead. How closely do the finishes match and do they fit together well? Thanks for input. And sorry if this has been asked before..repeatedly..  
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 11:21:31 PM EDT
[#1]
i had a RRA 9mm upper for a short time and it matched my dpms lowers nicely.  they might not be right on but they'll be really close so it won't make a difference.  go for it!

i sold the RRA to fund another project, there was nothing wrong with it just in case you were going to ask.
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 4:25:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Thank you. Thats what I was hoping to hear. It doesnt need to be perfect, but I just dont want to look at the rifle from 5 feet away and see the upper and lower are like night and day compared to each other. And more importantly I want to know the fit will be solid. Not loose or hard to combine.
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 2:38:00 AM EDT
[#3]
RRA uses about the blackest finish color in the business, so you'll probably have a slight color difference, but it won't be a gross mismatch by any means. Parts fit should be fine[:D]
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 5:32:01 AM EDT
[#4]
moneyshot, none of us can tell you that the upper and lower won't be too loose or too tight...small variations from piece to piece, even from the same manufacturer, are common.  

Most likely, the fit will be fine...but there is an off chance that it could be loose, or tight enough to require banging the pins in with a plastic hammer...I have several that way, but I'd rather have 'em tight.  

As for the look, DPMS uses a teflon coating that is a little shiny...I think it looks very good, but you *might* see a contrast between that and the RRA, in addition to a slight color difference.  Once again, I'd be surprised if it was a big deal for you.  
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top