Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/25/2003 5:16:57 PM EDT
I just received my first kit from Model 1 Sales.  Up till this point I've only purchased fully built rifles from Bushmaster and Rock River arms.  I've also shot and carried many different Colt M16 A2 rifles.

My first thoughts when I opened the package were that the handguards seemed alittle cheap looking.  I have two kits and both of the handguards are really loose and have a small gap between them on the left side.  The front sight also seems very rough compared to by BM and RRA rifles.

The lightweight barrel is a huge difference.  You can really see and feel the weight difference.

The upper receiver looks just as nice as any of my other rifles.

I'm going to assemble these kits on a Preban BM lower and a post ban RRA lower.

I compared the kit's upper receivers to the two lower receivers I have and they look very good color wise.

Overall my first impressions are very good.  If they shoot as good as they look it will be even better.

The only thing I'll probably change right off is a new set of handguards.

This is the 16" CAR kit.  Does the M4 handguards fit tight?  This is the first CAR rifle I've ever owned so not real sure.
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 7:15:24 PM EDT
[#1]
My buddy got a RRA CAR upper, and the handguards where the same, kinda cheap.  I let him borrow the M4 handguards from my RRA M4 upper, they fit fine, and look good on there.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 8:16:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Finished both kits in about an hour or so.  Very easy.  The kits were very good quality except for the handguards and the selector detents were too large.  I had to use a drill and some sandpaper to reduce their size so they would fit in my lower receivers.

I'll take some pictures tonight but they look very good.  As good as my RRA or Bushmaster rifles.  The fit and finish are perfect with no problems.

Final weight of the rifles unloaded and without a magazine is 5.6 lbs.  Pretty light.
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 5:21:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Here are a few pictures of the finished rifle:

[URL]http://www.arenetworks.com/CAR15/[/URL]

Here is a thumbnail of one of the pics:

[IMG]http://www.arenetworks.com/CAR15/tn_AR15-Lightweight-CAR.jpg[/IMG]

I also purchased a ARMS #40A from Adrenaline Arms and its going to be here on Friday.

The only thing I don't like about this rifle is the handguards.  Should I get the M4 handguards?
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 4:23:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Thats exactly what I am putting together this fall, nice rifle. What kind of sight is that?
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 6:08:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Thank you.  Its very basic but light.  That is what I was going for.

The sight is a Russian made Kobra Holo sight.  Its actually a very nice sight.

I also just put a ARMS #40A on the rifle.  If you are looking for a good iron folding rear sight its very nice.

I'm thinking of replacing the Kobra with an aimpoint sometime in the near future.

I also just ordered a RRA shorty LE buttstock and a 1" extended recoil pad.  I'll take pictures when its done.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top