Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2003 10:58:23 PM EDT
I have a stripped lower and I'd like to build an M4/ CQB rifle with (preferably) a flat top. Since I'm also on a very tight budget and doesn't know what's out there, I appreciate it if anyone would share on who has the best deal on parts/ set(s)? Please note that I'd like to go cheap without jeopardizing the reliability of my (future) rifle.

Thanks,
Mike
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 1:17:08 AM EDT
check out iblis(sp?) in the ee for his mega lowers. oz
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 1:18:04 AM EDT
Located here: [url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=21&t=153544[/url]
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 4:54:39 AM EDT
He said he already has a lower...
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 5:50:48 AM EDT
Originally Posted By 9mm_Parabellum: I have a stripped lower and I'd like to build an M4/ CQB rifle with (preferably) a flat top. Since I'm also on a very tight budget and doesn't know what's out there, I appreciate it if anyone would share on who has the best deal on parts/ set(s)? Please note that I'd like to go cheap without jeopardizing the reliability of my (future) rifle. Thanks, Mike
View Quote
Hey Mike, That kinda depends. Do you want everything at one time, meaning all the parts in a complete kit (like J&T or Oly), or do you want to buy part by part (like lower parts kit)? If you want an M4gery both J&T and Oly have kits that are pretty good. Approx $450ish. You get everything to complete your stripped out lower. If you want to do part by part, get your lower parts kit from someone like GPSS and then buy the rest from the EE board. Both will work, but the question is how fast do you want it. Oh yea, btw, if you do part by part, you are not really saving much because of all the different shipping cost, but you don't have to lay out the money at one time. Good luck, the folks on this board are a treasure chest full of info. Don't hesitate to ask.
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 8:38:12 AM EDT
I don't have a time urgency to build this rifle. The sooner the better off course, although it all depends on what kind of deal(s) I can find. ;) Not knowing the right, average price is another concern that I have. Right now, I'm looking for a trigger kit and skeletonized buttstock. Seem the trigger kit that I've seen so far cost $60 and the $125 for the stock. Is that a decent price? Mike
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 8:51:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/25/2003 8:53:41 AM EDT by Vector_Joe]
If you are going to build from actual individual components, here is a list of typical prices for RRA parts or parts of similar qualilty. You may be able to do better, but not by much. M4 barrel w/ chromelining $185-$210 Flat top Upper reciever w/ FA and port cover $85-$95 Bolt carrier group $105-120 lower parts kit $55-60 skeleton stock $125-$145 Plus you will need to get some magazines and either optics or a flip up rear site or a detachable carry handle. Hope that helps. Joe edited to add: You will also need $5-$50 worth of tools to assemble. Barrel wrench and torque wrench plus a block to hold the barrel or the upper reciever.
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 9:01:04 AM EDT
Vector_Joe, Thanks for the info. Is there a particular manuf. that I need to look into or even worse, avoid? Mike
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 11:18:08 AM EDT
Originally Posted By 9mm_Parabellum: Vector_Joe, Thanks for the info. Is there a particular manuf. that I need to look into or even worse, avoid? Mike
View Quote
In terms of manufacturers, a lot of the parts are bought from the same sources, but that can be hard to find out. Here are the common 'brand names': Armalite Bushmaster Colt DPMS Olympic Arms Rock River Arms Smaller, but I believe good quality: Fulton Arms Cavalry Arms Those are what I can think of off the top of my head.
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 11:45:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/25/2003 11:46:26 AM EDT by philsAR]
A kit from J&T, Model 1, or M&A will be cheaper. It will come with everything you need to complete your stripped lower. See Industry Forums
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 1:03:52 PM EDT
Originally Posted By philsAR: A kit from J&T, Model 1, or M&A will be cheaper. It will come with everything you need to complete your stripped lower. See Industry Forums
View Quote
There's nothing wrong with getting a kit (from what I understand). I just listed that so that he could see how much the individual components cost from the 'brand name' manufacturers. It is the way to lay out the least amount of money at one time (if you buy components and build over time.)
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 3:45:56 PM EDT
Well, IMHO, if you're building an M4/CQB, why do you need a match trigger/trigger upgrade? That's $100 or more right there you don't need to spend. You can tweek the stock triggers to make them more than acceptable for the kind of rifle you want. ADCO has the RRA M4gery uppers with a chrome lined barrel for about $445 to your door. Grab the Ace skeleton set, a lower parts kit, and you're all set. RRA makes a very nice M4gery upper, you'll love it. Mine is very reliable, and I've been very happy ever since I got it. [img]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-5/188491/M4_1.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 10:18:22 PM EDT
I was thinking about doing this myself, do all of the RRA M4 uppers have chrome lined barrels and chambers? I was lookind at ADCO's site and I couldn't find anything that said that. Also, all the M4 variety uppers semmed to be $490 and up, am I just looking in the wrong place? Thanks, Dan
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 12:44:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/26/2003 12:58:31 PM EDT by Fenian]
Dan, you have to got to the "build custom M4" link on ADCO's site...it's under a picture of one of the rifles, in the RRA parts section. Chrome lining is an option, and you have to click the "remove TAC handle" option to save over $100. What you'll end up with is a flat top M4, with a chrome lined barrel for $44?...can't remember exactly. A non chrome lined flat top M4 is $411 shipped....that much I do remember. I actually got my M4 upper last year from Norala Tactical Weaponry. James has really good prices, just a question of whether it's in stock or not.
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 12:05:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/27/2003 12:05:38 AM EDT by Dan-357]
Aha! Found it! It was under "Shop Services", then the link to price a custom M4 upper. My credit card company is gonna love you guys! [:)] Thanks, Dan
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 4:49:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/30/2003 7:49:10 AM EDT by davidp14]
hey fenian, what kind of V-grip is that? ive been debating one. BTW i went with adco too. and i did the part by part thing. that way i didnt have to buy any parts i didnt want ad i could buy it a little at a time. Ive put about 1k rnds through it and had zero malfunctions. ive shot everything from lake city to wolf. RRA is top quality and adco has the best prices, service, and you CANT beat $4 shipping! [url]http://www.fototime.com/{D0811F26-E771-4204-B7C2-7DE8DB435150}/picture.JPG[/url]
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 7:32:33 AM EDT
David, I am looking at building a very similar copy of your AR. Except I am going to use the Ace tactical stock for a little more "compactness." Is your 16" mid length chrome lined? I haven't been able to find out how to purchase that from Adco yet. I am going to add the Wilson brake too. Looks like a great setup though for about $750-800. BM eat you heart out...
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 9:51:10 PM EDT
David, That's really close to the build I'm thinking of. Is that the RRA 16 with mid-length handguards? I'm contemplating that or a 20" flattop with the same goodies, ARM #40, ARFX, RRA internals. Thanks for the pic it helps.
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 7:36:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/30/2003 7:40:42 AM EDT by BDHershey]
I wanted to buy the same upper, RRA 16" Midlength Postban with chrome lining. No such upper exists. In fact no such barrel exists. I have contacted ADCO, Legal-Transfers, RRA, etc., and the only way to get this setup, is to buy a preban 16" Midlength A4 upper/barrel, these come chrome lined, and then have the bayo lug shaved and the FH replaced with a break. ADCO says they can do exactly what I want for about $400, I haven't heard back from Pete at LT for his price yet. Just out of curiosity I emailed RRA to find out why they don't offer a chrome lined midlength postban, I'll let you know what they say when I hear back. Of course if you want the M4 upper/barrel this issue is mute. Do like Fenian says and price you a custom M4 upper from ADCO. I just wanted the midlenth gas system, etc. Hershey
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 7:45:35 AM EDT
thanks guys, yes its the 16" midlength. its not chrome lined. i origianlly wanted a dissipator until i held one of them and a middy at a fun show. the chrome lined issue is a heated one but, many will tell you, and i happen to agree, unless you dont clean you gun routinely, or shoot in a tropical rainstorm, chrome lined is not needed. i have not had any troubles so far and im very happy with my purchase. now i just have to finish my other projects so i can have enough dough to get an aimpoint. one word of advice dont get the rra sling. it sucks. big clunky attachments get in the way when trying to mount quickly. and its noisy. af blue good guess it was $779 for what you see in the pic.
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 2:45:13 PM EDT
How do we ensure that the Upper Kit.. will have a tight fit with the stripped lower? Thats all I am worried about.. well.. ok.. I am worried about trying to put it together..but I am willing to try.
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 6:15:11 PM EDT
as long as the parts are in spec they should fit fine. i used a eagle arms lower and the fit and even color was perfect. dont worry about putting the lower together, its easy. get some punches and print the instructions on this homepage and thats all youll need.
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 8:20:52 PM EDT
I've never heard anyone complain about their RRA parts not fitting "tight enough". I've read numerous times where they were so tight as to require significant effort to open or close. I haven't had the privelege myself, yet. But I don't anticipate any problem in that respect. Hershey
Link Posted: 8/31/2003 11:15:27 AM EDT
Thanks guys..now I just save up for the kit ..and I am on my way!
Link Posted: 8/31/2003 12:34:40 PM EDT
I put together a light weight plinker. The costs were as follows: $85 for Oly lower, free 17 year old A1 upper given to me by my bro, $45 for lower parts kit, $95 for bolt/carrier, $20 for beat-up A1 furniture, $220 for BM M4 Dissy barrel assembly, $12 for charging handle, $10 for buffer, $12 tube, $2 for buffer spring. Grand total $501 not including tools. I could have saved about $100 by getting a regular SP1 or A2 barrel off the EE, but had my heart set on a LW Dissy. Even if I would have had to pay for the upper, I've seen A1's on the EE for $50 and up, depending on finish. If you don't have the tools necessary, try to borrow them from friends, shooting club members, or other AR owners.
Top Top