Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2003 6:24:27 AM EDT
I just ordered a preban brake,it threaded & blind pin type.
Hope to install this item on my new bushy A2S,  the brake has standard military threads, what ever that is, left right or 1-14 size with a left hand twist?? I  think bushy barrel dia is.701"??
I have a buddy who has a whole set of tap & dies, my question is, can we do this without a lath?

Help.

Thanks.

TG
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 6:41:15 AM EDT
[#1]
If your barrel is post-ban without threads, you will need to turn down the diameter of the barrel at the end to be able to thread it.  Standard dies will not work to cut the threads because you can't cut the threads close enough to the shoulder created when you machined the barrel.  This all needs to be done on a lathe.
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 7:03:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Russ, had that feeling, that was the way to go about it.
I just got off the phone with my local gunsmith, he said it would do all  that for $30.
I will be heading to his shop, once my brake get here.

TG [:)]
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 8:26:18 AM EDT
[#3]
I really hope you do [b]not[/b] tell the machinist to thread the muzzle either 1x14 LH or RH.  Standard military M16 barrel thread is 1/2x28 RH.
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 8:32:39 AM EDT
[#4]
The web site, that I purchased the brake from, just said standard military thread, so I didnt know what that was till now, thanks.
I was hoping the gunsmith would know. [:D]
Im still waiting for my brake, should be in, sometime the first of this coming week. [:)]

TG
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 8:48:35 AM EDT
[#5]
What is Standard AR15 threads?? need to know.

Thanks in advance.[:)]

TG
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 3:16:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

I dunno, but if you search all around this board for a while maybe you can find it.  [:P]
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 3:18:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Thanks in advance.[:)]

TG
View Quote

Standard thread on 5.56 bbls. is 1/2 inch, 28 threads per inch, right hand thread. (aka 1/2-28)
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 4:14:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks Helldog, been busy gathering stuff in short time, miss details at time, part of being old. [:D]

TG
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 12:23:43 PM EDT
[#9]

Since he's going to have to turn the barrel, thread it, attach your brake and then weld it on to make it permanent... it looks like you could save a few bucks by omitting the threading and just weld the brake on the unthreaded (turned down) part.

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top