Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/23/2003 2:40:58 AM EDT
I had been very interested in building an AR, until... I found a Bushmaster Modular Carbine (the base for my build) for $1149.  Wouldn't I be better off just purchasing this instead of going through all of the hassel of buying seperate parts just to save a few bucks.  Take a minute and think about this if you will.  I have been adding up all of the parts that go into this weapon and it seems to me it would be better of to just go ahead an buy the damn thing as a whole!!!!   I'm a little torn here, your thoughts?.........
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 3:03:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Well....if you think its a "hassel" to acumulate the parts then build it yourself; than you would be better off just buying it outright.  I've done both and really enjoyed putting together my own AR.  Not to mention the knowledge gained as to how its put together and the personal satisfaction to know that you put it together yourself.
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 3:06:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Ok, not that it is a hassel, just a lot of work trying to find everything you want out there, especially when you're new to this.  Aside from that is their much money to be saved by buying seperately if any?  Can anyone beat the CDNN price of $1149?
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 3:19:23 AM EDT
[#3]
There are different opinions on this but I know that when I built my RRA M4, I may have saved a little.  Never really added it all up but don't think that it really wasn't alot.  Its really good for someone that can't come up with all the money at once but can get a part here and there and put it aside untill complete.  As far as beating the CDNN price; can't answer that without checking around.  Maybe someone will answer that for you.  I get their cataloges and seems like they have some good prices on some things.
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 3:43:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, I did a simple Google search but it didn't turn anything up for under $1249.  I wonder how bad it would piss of my local dealer to bring in a copy of their ad and ask, "So how close can you come to this price for me?"  Well, I don't have these balls for nothin do I [banana] ?
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 4:30:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Yeah, I did a simple Google search but it didn't turn anything up for under $1249.  I wonder how bad it would piss of my local dealer to bring in a copy of their ad and ask, "So how close can you come to this price for me?"  Well, I don't have these balls for nothin do I [banana] ?
View Quote

You also have to add in the shipping charges and ffl transfer fees.  From what I see they only charge 12.99 to ship a rifle but then whatever the transfer fee you hasve to pay.  But I would still show it to him and see if he can match the price.  All he can say is that he can or can't.
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 4:42:14 AM EDT
[#6]
True, True.  Hmmmm, don't have nething else to do today.   I think I'll check out that situation.
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 5:01:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Well you can buy a Bushmaster rifle in the M4 config, CAR config or A2, A3 config for $725 - $850 from kyimports.com and you can buy a M4 config Colt for around $850 or so.  That plus shipping and your FFL transfer and you are still well under $900 any way you go.

[URL]http://www.kyimports.com[/URL]
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 5:07:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Yes but this is minus all of the great accessories that make the Bushy so great.  (Handguards, ACE stocky, B.M.A.S. flip up front and rear sight etc etc.
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 5:45:51 AM EDT
[#9]
I found building an AR fun and it gave me an understanding of the rifle that you won't be given from a store bought.

Reading about something is not the same as doing it and it's not that much hassle.

That being said I still bought a Bushy M4 A2 for under $800.

tj
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 6:02:18 AM EDT
[#10]
I do c that you can build an M4 for under $800.  Very easy with a $500 upper and a complete lower from Mega for $200.  Enough left over to ship the upper, (shipping on lower is included). Also enough to cover the FFL fee, get a grip and some M4 hanguards.  All for under $800.  But you have got to look at what you get with the Modular carbine.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 6:40:09 AM EDT
[#11]
$500 below MSRP is a great price for that rifle, and much closer to reality.  Still, you could build a similar rifle for a few bucks less, and learn a lot about the AR-15 along the way.  You could easily do it if you got most of the parts through the EE.  

It's up to you, though, there's a lot to be said for instant gratifications [:D], and if you have the $$, then go ahead and get it.  Now, if there's an 8 week wait for delivery, then that's another story.  

M&A kit: 450
Mega Lower 130 Shipped & FFL
Firsh Handguard 100
Ace Stock 125
Ergo Grip 20
Flip up Sights 150

You could save the shipping and FFL if you could get any lower locally.  I left out shipping on some of those items, so add another few $$, but your still right around $1000 this way, which gives you some more options.

Link Posted: 8/23/2003 6:57:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Does anyone have anything negative to say about the Bushamster Modular Carbine.  I would like to know your likes and dislikes please
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 7:02:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Does anyone have anything negative to say about the Bushamster Modular Carbine.  I would like to know your likes and dislikes please
View Quote

I don't, and I don't think you'll find anyone who does.  But really, it sounds like you have your mind made up...so go get it already, and enjoy it!
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 7:05:40 AM EDT
[#14]
what part(s) of it do you not like, I haven't completely made my mind up.  I'm still open to suggestion, but I would like to know if there are reasons not to buy this particular gun.  Do people not like the BMAS parts, do the handgurads suck, not a big fan of naked fluted barrels?
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 7:34:40 AM EDT
[#15]
I thought about  building  my own AR, usely I build my own 1911's & do real nice custom work, considering it done at home.
But, I  couldnt stand stalking the mailbox for each AR part. [:D]
So, I went to a local gunshop and purchased a Bushy A2S, I like the K.i.s.s look, havent regreted it.

TG [:)]

Link Posted: 8/23/2003 8:16:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I do c that you can build an M4 for under $800.  Very easy with a $500 upper and a complete lower from Mega for $200.  Enough left over to ship the upper, (shipping on lower is included). Also enough to cover the FFL fee, get a grip and some M4 hanguards.  All for under $800.  But you have got to look at what you get with the Modular carbine.  
View Quote

If you're looking at building an AR from a purely cost savings point of view, then forget it and just buy a completed gun.  In all likelyhood, building up the AR of your dreams will actually cost more than that Bushmaster sitting on the dealer's shelf.

Now, there are those rare occasions where you stumble upon or trade for some choice parts that you can use (I still have the pre-ban PWA with a Colt A2 barrel that I built up for $185 total), but by and large you're gonna spend more than you would've on a factory built rifle.  The advantage in building your own is you end up with the exact gun you wanted.  You get to pick the barrel, the receivers, the sights, the furniture, etc.  Everything will be exactly like you wanted.  As opposed to buying that gun off the dealer's shelves where maybe it's not quite the barrel you want, the furniture is a little different, or maybe you really wanted a flat-top instead.

So that's it - if you're gonna post $Dollar figures and talk about how this gun will cost $100 less than that one, etc., forget it.  Just give it up, because building ARs is not for you.  But, on the other hand, if you want to talk about how the AR you made is the exact perfect rifle you always wanted and love to shoot, then there still might be a chance for you yet.
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 6:20:44 AM EDT
[#17]
82_Airborne,

I've been telling people for the last hour that they [b]should[/b] build a rifle, but if you are talking about building a rifle like that, you [b]wil not[/b] be able to match CDNN's price by building.  The rifle CDNN has sports all the same parts as the 25th anniv. Bushmaster.  I have one of the limited editions that I got for $1195.  I've added up the cost of all the parts on that rifle, and you just can't match the price by doing it yourself.  If you can handle the $1200 for the CDNN rifle, I would highly recommend it.  I guarantee that you'll love it.

J
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 12:27:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks, I'm scaping up the dough right now.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top