Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/21/2003 8:14:16 PM EDT
I want to buikd my first Ar, but I'm not sure which kit is the best. Should I just buy a entire rifle or is a built rifle just as good ?
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 8:29:56 PM EDT
I can't say which kit is the best because I've only used J&T. But I can say that J&T's kits were entirely satisfactory. But-- if you want a chrome-lined barrel, the only option with a J&T kit is their M4gery, which has an integral muzzle brake that some people might not care for. If chrome-lined isn't a big deal for you, or if you're looking for a heavy stainless varmint gun, they're great. I've built three and I'm completely satisfied. If you buy a complete rifle, you might get a better match on the upper and lower receiver finish, but I don't think the quality is any better. There's not a whole lot to assembling an AR from a kit (the upper comes fully assembled with J&T kits), so as long as you're getting quality parts, I don't see why having it factory built would make it any better.
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 12:37:37 AM EDT
I've assembled 5 or 6 Olys, and they have all been great. If you assemble it yourself, figure on saving about $100 avoiding FET (fed tax). It is legal, you get to know your weapon better, and it is fun.
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 1:12:29 AM EDT
Go with J&T, check the board. J&T have all pros the others, not.
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 7:22:24 PM EDT
Definitely build one (then many more). I've had the best luck with J&T kits and Rock River lowers. Model 1 seems to be good quality and good prices but I have never ordered a kit from them (just parts). Olympic seems inconsistent, I have a pistol cal upper I really like, and an Oly lower I really do NOT like. Bottom line, any major supplier should work fine, you just get what you pay for... too cheap is just that. Scot
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 5:49:19 PM EDT
Yeap! I agree with the other guys JT is the way to go and the Rock River lower, mine came out perfectly for a first build. No problems with the build and the same when test fired. Nice people,fast service and quality parts,
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 8:57:04 PM EDT
J&T all the way, went to gether great except that it was missing the trigger pin, now that may be attributed to my brother opening it first, but J&T shipped one out the next day great company
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 1:59:18 AM EDT
Only build experience has been an Oly PCR-4 with my son last October. No issues at all, son very happy with it, has worked first time and every time since. Their PCR-4 upper assembly/lower parts kit just went on sale again ($424 + s/h). If I were in the market, I would buy one without hesitation.
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 6:04:27 AM EDT
Madcap, In the last year, I've built about 10 ARs for my friends and me, one on a bushy lower and the rest on RRA lowers. All of the kits came from JT. They all went together [b]perfectly[/b]. I couldn't tell any major difference between the bushy and RRA lower. All the JT/RRA upper/lowers fit together a little tighter (read better) than did the JT/bushy. We are all 100% happy with our guns (and the money we saved by building them) I just built another JT/RRA rifle for a local pawn shop. They sold a customer a Hesse, and it just wouldn't work for him so they called me and I built them a better rifle for cheaper and they replaced his with it. When I came here asking for advice, these guys told me the same thing, RRA and JT. I took their advice and I have never regretted it. J
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 6:25:10 PM EDT
I will have to agree on the J&T Kit. I built one on an Eagle Arms lower, and the color match and fit were perfect. It only took about an hour with the instructions supplied by this site. I still haven't been able to shoot it yet so I cant say anything about accuracy, but I hope it shoots as good as it looks.
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 7:51:48 PM EDT
Thanks for all your info !
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 11:21:54 AM EDT
assembled this with kit from Model 1 sales, tight fit and functions flawlessly...500 rounds without a failure so far.......... [img]http://www.hunt101.com/img/056645-big.JPG[/img]
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 3:17:22 PM EDT
I don't know about all of them but I bought a 16" kit from JT and it works just fine. DKreh
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 9:55:34 AM EDT
All I know is that I have ordered from Model 1; and their functionality and quality is 1st in my book.
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 8:21:32 PM EDT
As you can see from some of my other posts I like Model 1 , I have a 20" and a 16" and I am happy with both . When it comes to build or buy complete I would say build it yourself you will save money that can be spent on ammo and mags . I just priced a M4gery yesterday that was $1035.00 before taxes at a local shop , you can build the same rifle for less than $700.00 . You do the math and I'm sure you will see learning your weapon and saving money is the way to go .
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 7:12:36 PM EDT
J&T sounds great. What is their web site address?
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 4:50:12 AM EDT
I purchased a "US PROPERTY" marked RRA Lower from Legal Transfers (Pete in New Hampshire) and a 16" CAR Model 1 Kit. They assembled perfectly and the weapon fires an easy 1-2 MOA from a braced offhand position @ 100 yards. I haven't shot it from the bench yet, but I'm sure it will shoot sub MOA.
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 12:05:49 PM EDT
I would recommend M&A (m-aparts.com).
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 5:07:34 AM EDT
It all came down to price for me. Model 1 sales kits are $400 for the lightweight barrel CAR kit. M&A wants $50 for the same kit and J&T wants $485. Thats a big difference in price. Money that can be put towards ammo, magazines or other modifications that you want to do.
Top Top