Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/17/2003 7:48:00 AM EDT
Got the DPMS firing pin retaining pin that is a solid pin, rather than a cotter pin. Works great. drops right in, no more wrestling with the old cotter pin.
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 2:39:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Ah...they make those for AR-15s?  My DPMS .308 has that...it's the coolest thing since sliced bread.  I wondered why nobody had thought of it sooner...so how much are the AR-15 ones?  
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 4:37:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I have seen them and want them myself.  Question - how hard is it to remove the pin?  I realize that it's not something that I would be removing a lot, but if it is a PIA to remove, that turns me off.
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 9:10:24 PM EDT
[#3]
The solid retaining pins are not a new idea.  The original AR designs back in the late 50's / early 60's used a solid firing pin retainer.  As I recall, they were used through the production of the M16A1's.  It was somewhere around the early-eighties that Colt changed over to the cotter pin-like retainer.

By the way, the solid pins are as easy to remove as the cotter style and much easier to install.
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 11:46:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Ok...I'm gonna fess up here...when I first pulled the bolt/carrier out of the .308, I saw that retaining pin...it's got a little slot in it...so I grabbed a screw driver...couldn't figure out why it wasn't backing out.  Then I RTFMed, and pushed it out.  I always try to make thing more complicated than they need to be lol.  
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 1:41:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I think it was $5 bucks or so? Well worth it after 4 different cotter pins and the ensuing 45 minute wrestling match to get them back in. I was in the Army for 15 years, and never had any problem removing/replacing retaining pins; guess my rifles were well worn.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top