Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/17/2003 7:48:00 AM EDT
Got the DPMS firing pin retaining pin that is a solid pin, rather than a cotter pin. Works great. drops right in, no more wrestling with the old cotter pin.
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 2:39:34 PM EDT
Ah...they make those for AR-15s? My DPMS .308 has that...it's the coolest thing since sliced bread. I wondered why nobody had thought of it sooner...so how much are the AR-15 ones?
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 4:37:57 PM EDT
I have seen them and want them myself. Question - how hard is it to remove the pin? I realize that it's not something that I would be removing a lot, but if it is a PIA to remove, that turns me off.
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 9:10:24 PM EDT
The solid retaining pins are not a new idea. The original AR designs back in the late 50's / early 60's used a solid firing pin retainer. As I recall, they were used through the production of the M16A1's. It was somewhere around the early-eighties that Colt changed over to the cotter pin-like retainer. By the way, the solid pins are as easy to remove as the cotter style and much easier to install.
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 11:46:53 AM EDT
Ok...I'm gonna fess up here...when I first pulled the bolt/carrier out of the .308, I saw that retaining pin...it's got a little slot in it...so I grabbed a screw driver...couldn't figure out why it wasn't backing out. Then I RTFMed, and pushed it out. I always try to make thing more complicated than they need to be lol.
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 1:41:38 PM EDT
I think it was $5 bucks or so? Well worth it after 4 different cotter pins and the ensuing 45 minute wrestling match to get them back in. I was in the Army for 15 years, and never had any problem removing/replacing retaining pins; guess my rifles were well worn.
Top Top