Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/13/2003 10:10:19 AM EDT
There is a "hole" in the threads of the lower receiver for the buffer retainer spring (goes in first) then the buffer retainer (on top of spring).  Hold down retainer and screw in telestock, plate, and locking ring 1/4 turn past "just right" (what is just right by the way?).  Install rear takedown pin with groove towards stock, throw in takedown pin detent and then takedown detent spring and rotate 1/4 turn back to correct to keep spring from flying across the room.  Tighten locking ring with spanner wrench.  Is there a hole/groove in the telestock/buffer tube that indexes the buffer retainer?

And then there was more.....When putting upper on lower:  Which pin first takedown or pivot?  Hammer up or down?  Charging handle locked or loose?  Video camera or still pics to capture idiotic mistakes for posting on ARFCOM?  Anything else I should know about mating the upper to lower? Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 1:37:23 PM EDT
[#1]
My fixed telestock has a flat portion on the end, and it sits over the retainer...you can't really go past where it's supposed to be, it'll just hit the retainer, then you can't screw it in anymore...there's not another full turn left after it makes contact with the retainer.  

It should be screwed in far enough to catch and hold the retainer...then you're done.  Put the takedown pin in, then the detent and spring.  You need to push that little plate down so that it pushes the spring and detent into the receiver...then se a CAR stock wrench, spanner wrench, etc, to tighten it...I'm sure there's a preferred amount of torque, but I just did mine 'til it felt nice and tight.  

That little plate can be tricky...getting the spring to smush down correctly into the hole in the back of the receiver.  

I usually do the front take down first on rettaching upper to lower...it doesn't matter.  Usually works better with hammer down, but not an absolute necessity.  Don't even worry about the charging handle.  

Resist ALL temptation to pull the hammer on the lower when it's not attached to the upper, and with the bolt/carrier installed...it could crack your receiver!!

Link Posted: 8/14/2003 6:00:07 AM EDT
[#2]
thanks for the info about the hammer.  I can guarantee you I would have done that.[banghead]
I got the 1/4 turn from the assembly instructions on this board??  ADCO should be getting my order today and should have it by this weekend.  Its like Christmas in August.
Link Posted: 8/14/2003 6:18:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Resist ALL temptation to pull the hammer on the lower when it's not attached to the upper, and with the bolt/carrier installed...it could crack your receiver!!
View Quote

I'm not sure what you mean by this.
Link Posted: 8/14/2003 7:45:00 AM EDT
[#4]
If you have only the comleted lower in your hand, with the hammer cocked, and pull the trigger, there is nothing to absorb the force of the hammer strike...it all goes to the receiver at the back of the mag well...not a good thing, considering how much force we're talking about on some stock trigger springs.  
The RRA trigger spring is thicker than my other ones, for example.  

Most everyone recommends some sort of "shock absorber" , like a folded piece of leather, or a piece of rubber, be inserted in there to shield the receiver from hammer strikes when doing anything that requires you to pull the trigger and have the hammer fall(like adjusting it in some way).  

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top