Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/13/2003 9:10:37 AM EDT
I'm in the process of test firing My ar after a kaboom (see my thread with pics in the troubleshooting section), I've checked my original bolt, the one that come from factory and is perfect, no ding or scratches anywhere, I've installed a new extractor, and a new bolt carrier, made by colt (the ar is an Olyarms), I've performed all the controls in the troubleshooting section, and everything went smooth and nice.

In the process of examining the barrele extension, I've noted that the lug at 2'o clock, the one corrispondent to the extractor claw, is slightly (maybe 0,8mm) dinged.

The others are perfect, I've checked with strong light and 4x jeweler goggles. Also the chamber and the distance between barrel and barrel extension is correct.

The lug was dinged because the extractor was forces outside and bent from a brass failure that lead to a KB, shredding the bottom of the bolt carrier.

Now, my question is, it is safe my ar even with this small ding on the lug? I've checked headspace, extraction and even percussion of the firing pin (putting a primed empty brass in chamber and firing it) and everything went perfect.

Right now I have only to test fire the thing, and I don't want to risk another KB.

I wish the ding in the lug didn't compromise safety, 'cause I'm from Italy, and..just obtaining a new BC was en epic struggle (see my posts..), having a new barrel extension installed by a gunsmith would be something highly remote here...

Thanks for info, guys..
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 9:12:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Sorry for bad english...I'm dogtired..:)
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 11:01:28 AM EDT
[#2]
How much do you like your face or arm?  I would not use it personally as there could be microscopic fractures and stress from the prior kaboom.  A new extension is about $25 but the problem is installing it correctly.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 11:27:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Under;

Not to be a wise ass, but can you use a more precise term than "dinged?"

Is it chipped, cracked, bent, scratched or what? It could be anything from nothing to a big time problem. Make haste slowly here, one is (or should be) enough!

Cheers!
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 12:20:29 PM EDT
[#4]
If you are asking for advice, I will give you mine, take it for what it is worth:

Do not fire that weapon untill it has been inspected and approved for return to service by the manufacturer or one of their authorized repair stations.

I know this involves a wait, and much hassle, but if it were me and my health, I would do what I had to do to get it to the factory complete with broken parts and a detailed discription of what happened.

The working pressure of that firearm is over 50,000 PSI.  There has been some discussion in the past as to if all the locking lugs carry equal load in a new bolt and extension, who knows what the shape is of your parts.  Could be that it checks good on headspace, but only one lug is really holding the bolt. If this is the case, the locking lugh could suffer a cascading failure due to point overstress.

In the US, you could buy 2 or more new upper assemblies for the cost of one emergency room visit, plus, eye damage is not fixable.

Please be safe, make sure, don't guess.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 2:10:08 PM EDT
[#5]
It's chipped, more or less 0,8mm chipped. very slightly. But meanwhile I'll follow your advice and sent the thing to repair.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top