Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/11/2003 3:24:03 PM EDT
When I reassembled my upper, which uses a set screw gas block, I just tightened down the block when it was in the proper place.  I did not use any loctite around the gas port.  I have seen at least one person write that he uses loctite around the gas port, is this necessary?  Is this advisable?  It seems like when I slide the gas block in place, it would just smear the loctite around anyway.  I hope I don't need to remove the gas block as it is perfectly level right now.

ANY tips or comments appreciated.

Thanks,
--Dan
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 5:23:00 PM EDT
[#1]
No loctite around the gas port... not even called for in the TM. It will cause you greif getting the gas block off if you ever had to.
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 7:09:23 AM EDT
[#2]
I've found that if you don't use Loctite, the gap between the gas block and the barrel fills with carbon.  Heating Loctite will soften it and allow you to remove the gas block easily; however, the carbon makes it nearly impossible to remove the gas block without damage.  I use penetrating Loctite (green) after assembly - that way I can take as long as I want to get the alignment right.  Loctite also keeps the rifle looking better since you don't get soot streaks from leaking gases.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top