Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/10/2003 6:12:13 AM EDT
I have a spare ar15 upper that needs a new gas tube. I don't know where to begin to take the old one out and a new one in.
Can anyone recommend a very detailed armorers book and tools that would help me install a new gas tube?

Thanks,
ArmaLiter
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 6:17:21 AM EDT
Right click the link below and select 'save target as'... it will download to your machine as a .pdf file... [url]www.ar15.com/content/books/TM9-1005-319-23.pdf[/url]
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 9:06:36 AM EDT
Originally Posted By ArmaLiter: I have a spare ar15 upper that needs a new gas tube. I don't know where to begin to take the old one out and a new one in. Can anyone recommend a very detailed armorers book and tools that would help me install a new gas tube?
View Quote
In terms of tools, I have this little [url=http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/gunsmith/mbc-01.asp]gas tube wrench[/url] and it works great at removing stuck gas tubes without damage so you can re-use them. On the other hand, if you just want to pull a stuck gas tube that you're going to throw away, then forget the tool. Take a pair of Vise-Grips and clamp down hard on the gas tube up near the front sight base. (Yes, you will totally crush it, but it's junk anyway.) Then take a hammer to tap on the pliers and the gas tube will wiggle out of the front sight base. So now that you have a crushed gas tube, cut a straight section out of the middle about 2.5" to 3" long. This makes a dandy alignment tool for your next barrel job. Stick the little tube into the bolt carrier key and insert it into the receiver while you're tightening the barrel nut. It will keep the circlip, weld spring, and delta ring in place, an then easily slide through when the next notch in the barrel nut lines up. Really slick!
Top Top