Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/7/2003 7:07:50 PM EDT
I took the new build out to the NRA range tonight.  Loaded her up, pulled the charging handle, fired the first round...it went bang, but the next round didn't go bang...so I pulled the charging handle, and out came the spent shell casing.  Hmmm....fired the next round, and noticed I didn't get pelted by hot .223 brass bouncing off the lexan wall to my right hehehe.  Okay..something wrong here...it appears I have a single shot AR.  

My guess is the removable gas block is not in the right position, and there's no gas getting into the gas tube to cycle the action.  I had a buddy fire the rifle while I watched...the bolt carrier moves back about 2 or 3 millimeters then just stops.  

Everything is well lubed, and even though the bolt IS tight going into the locking lugs, I don't think there's any way it could not fly back if it was getting a full gas charge.  

Well, I'm gonna call Model 1 tomorrow and see what they say...I'm sure I could fix it by just loosening the block, and making sure the tube is not obstruced, then making sure I got the block back on where it needs to be.  

Good thing I brought the Mk II along...another 300 rounds through that got rid of my frustration at the AR.  

I guess I'll find out tomorrow how well Model 1 stands behind their product.  Meanwhile, I talked to a guy at the range who I know pretty well, who does a lot of AR shooting.  He didn't seem to think very highly of that particular gas block, citing numeruous failures he's seen with it.  

If I have to send it back, I might just go ahead and have them put the regular front sight on there, to avoid the kinds of problems he's talking about.  

Stay tuned!  
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 7:27:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, notwithstanding the gas block problem, how were the groupings with the shots you did take?
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 8:53:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, to be honest, I didn't pay too much attention...I had slapped the propoint3 on it, and set the target at 25 yards, just to get it on paper.  After the first round didn't eject, I spent about 98% of my attention on that.  However, at 25 yards the windage was dead on, and it was about 1" or so high.  I never bothered to try and adjust it to POA, since I was trying to figure out why the thing wouldn't cycle.  When I pulle the target in, it looked like I got all 25 or so rounds into a silver dollar sized holes...and no weird flyer rounds that I couldn't account for.  

I checked the gas block a second ago...it's on there very tight, so it must just be that it's not quite over the hole all the way.  It's gonna have to go back, at this point...I couldn't budge the block, and I don't want to mess with it and void the warranty.  

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top