Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/7/2003 2:37:24 PM EDT
Aarg. I was sure I had all the parts! Nope, I forgot the split-pin for the gas tube. Well, I needed some go/no-go gauges, and a wrench, too. Bushmaster had everything I needed in one place, and prices were OK.

While I'm waiting, some crazy plots are hatching-

I found leopard skin print foam for the tube of my buttstock. I started working on turquoise leopard skin print... using plain foam and templates... some more work to go there.

Also, I found some nice spaceman Disney templates that might look nice on Desert Brown foam.

I almost got fake fur to try... but restrained myself! I may go back and get a piece... $1.98... hmmm.

Pete

ps- the turquoise is not quite looking right, and the Buzz Lightyear space ship is just a bit too large-- when it wraps, you can't tell what it is.

I'm not photoshopping, this is real stuff, taped on to the tubes until I decide if I really like it. Your vote?
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 5:29:41 PM EDT
[#1]
That's pretty god-damned faggoty looking. How the mind wanders while waiting for crucial AR15 parts.
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 5:44:47 PM EDT
[#2]
As a part time lurker/new guy here,I'm going to stick my neck out and say it reminds me of the saying about "idle hands(minds)being the devils workshop".
Of course if it is Pink Pistols night at the range......
Robert.
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 7:32:14 PM EDT
[#3]
You want the Devil's Workshop?

How about interlaced exponential spiral fluting, on an old take-off 10/22 barrel...  by hand using a chainsaw file?
[img]http://personalpages.tds.net/~segmentab/spiral.jpg[/img]

I was considering cutting the increasing pitch pattern in to end of my Hbar. I wondered how long it would take. The answer is about 1 hour per half inch of barrel, once I got going. Frank White's $100 for fluting looks like a lot better deal to me, now.

Well, the changing pitch was such a pain in the rear, I just tacked on a section of normal pitch. That goes pretty quick.

All in all, I think there is some interesting potential here. I'd reverse the direction of the pitch... increasing towards the muzzle, next time. It's totally cosmetic; you can see it doesn't reduce weight much, yet reduces stiffness. Oh well. Fun with files.
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 8:19:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Hmmm.  Bill, you get the net, I'll get the straightjacket, Larry, you take away the crack pipe and sharp tools.

Seriously though, I can't wait to see what else you insanity, ahem, I mean genious creates.  You got a lot of time on your hands, don't you?
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 4:36:01 AM EDT
[#5]
2 words;

Bling, Bling.

..or is that one said twice?
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 9:09:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Looks to me like something from the San Francisco SWAT team, or maybe from the cop on the "Village People".  Strip that off of there and don't immasculate a man's weapon!
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 6:22:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Hooray! Package from Bushmaster today! My gas tube pin arrived!!!

Here is a little show and tell:
[img]http://personalpages.tds.net/~segmentab/stinkeyAR.jpg[/img]
the buttstock and handguard are by Scott Medesha. Beautiful work! The upper is a DPMS high rise extended, with a fair bit of it filed off to fit the big Medesha tube. I bet that's why I got the DPMS on the EE for such a deal!
[img]http://personalpages.tds.net/~segmentab/upper.jpg[/img]

So- the clearance between the barrel and the bottom of the rail was increased almost 1/4" with a small vise and flat file. A small oval, identical to the others, was cut in to the bottom with various files and I resorted to a dremel tool to perfect the ends of the oval- only power tool used. The relief on the end was done with a hacksaw and a file.

The raw metal was blackened with AluBlack, then lightly painted with Rustoleum 1200 degree spray paint. It matches DPMS finish perfecly!

As you nit-pickers can clearly see- the rear assembly pin has yet to be installed. I'm still playing with the buttstocks. Also, the bolt is not installed, neither is the buffer and spring.

I'm also working on a custom grip, as the finger ridge does not quite fit my hand.

Optics will be C-more for now- because it was free.

So here it is- getting close. It's a space-gun inspired 20" carbine. I LIKE IT!

Thinking boom tube foam immasculates a rifle is like thinking a  bayonette lug makes it more dangerous.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 8:15:23 PM EDT
[#8]
btt, hope you don't mind!
Link Posted: 8/14/2003 4:40:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Some of you are loosing the ability to differentiate between your rifles and your whores.
Bet she sleeps on the pillow next you, gets rubbed with oil every night, and provides sexual satisfaction...

...Just joking, to each his own.
Link Posted: 8/15/2003 9:31:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Fuck You, your russian ammo, and  your Hesse too.

"Just Kidding", as you say.

Pete

ps-
Guns are toys, hobbies, tools, and maybe a little art. I keep them in a gun safe, just like any other grownup. Women are people.

pps- why don't you post a pic of how it ought to be done?

PPPs- when you brought my family in to your criticism of my tastes, you stepped way over the line.
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 6:50:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Some people like the beauty of simple and functional.

[img]http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/e15849c7/bc/My+Photos/P8150059.jpg?bcqbkP_ADsAJCLTF[/img]
[img]http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/e15849c7/bc/My+Photos/mg1.jpg?bcqbkP_AVaYlEV76[/img]
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 1:27:54 AM EDT
[#12]
The upper receiver rail looks bent or am I seeing things???
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 6:10:02 AM EDT
[#13]
I don't have a camera- I just put stuff on my scanner. It does pretty good for small, flat things. For something like a rifle, I stitch about 5 scans together with photoshop. Yeah, I know there's an easier way- buy a camera!

The upper receiver is flat, no twist. It just doesn't lay flat, and ended up looking a bit odd. There is a slight rounding taper in the last inch of the thick part of the upper rail, uniform and straight, complicating things. Since the hanguard is a tight fit, this slight radius keeps the handguard from getting dinged up when it's slid on.

I think I've picked a digital camera- (canon A70)

Pete
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top