Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 8/3/2003 10:34:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/3/2003 10:39:24 AM EDT by BDHershey]
I have decided to build my first AR, and go with RRA parts. I'm buying the stripped lower, parts kit, CAR postban stock, and upper. However with the upper I am torn between the postban 16" CAR A4 flattop, with either the CAR length or mid length handgaurds. I really like the shorter amount of visible barrel and the increased sight radius, but I don't want to sell myself short with different handgaurds etc. What are your thoughts? I really like the new mid length SIR, but at $399, it will be a while before I can get one. Thanks for your input!
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 11:47:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/3/2003 11:48:23 PM EDT by b0ne]
You can get mid-length handguards from Cavalry Arms; hell, get a whole furniture set in the color of your choice, mid-length too. [url]www.cavalryarms.com/furniture.html[/url] Their furniture is pretty sturdy, the new coyote brown color is kickass. If you don't want that, they got a whole rainbow available. Armalite sells mid-length too, green and black. [url]www.armalite.com/sales/catalog/components/carbines.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 11:02:09 AM EDT
I think handguard lenght and style are a personal choice ,along with fit and feel. Handle as many types as you can to get a feel of what feels good to you . Good luck SaFe ShOoTiNg Jerry [):)]
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 2:51:52 PM EDT
Thanks guys for the info, but what about rail systems?
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 11:22:21 PM EDT
As far as rail systems, I would stick with either carbine or standard length. I do not see much sense in putting so much money on something that is, admittedly, nonstandard, which you may want to change later on. Handguards are cheap, a $399 rail system is kind of hard on the wallet. More accessories and such designed for carbine or standard, so that's the size I would get if I were going to pay $400. But that's just my personal opinion.
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 6:32:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/6/2003 6:32:36 AM EDT by SteveinAz]
I think in the not too distant future you're going to see the mid-length [i]become[/i] the new standard in 16" configuration. It's popularity is growing quickly, and tactical accessories are beginning to catch up to demand. I think the mid-length gives you the best of both worlds; manageable length, longer sight radius.
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 10:20:56 AM EDT
I don't remember whether the midlength has the gas block at the carbine position or somewhere in the middle. If the gas block is at the carbine position, then I would pick whatever you prefer, even for rail systems because if you want a short, middle or long system, the gas block will just fit under the guards anyway. Then you just have to reposition the front site. This is ASSUMING A FF RAIL/GUARD system.
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 10:58:18 AM EDT
Just FYI: ALL CavArms furniture is not available in midlength. My wife wants pink (bleh) furniture on yer 9mm upper, and it's midlength. CavArms doesn't stock it, and it would probably take a minimum order of 100 sets or so to get any produced. I would guess the same is true for most of the non-common colors. So, think of what you'll wanna do with your rifle beforehand. I'll have to use some Krylon on the wife's. [:D]
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 3:30:50 PM EDT
i have a RRA mid A4 upper on my eagle arms lower and i couldnt be happier. i haven taken the guards off yet but i read here that the gas block is NOT at car position. plus theres the sight radius as a bonus, and it look good too.[:D] [url]http://www.fototime.com/ftweb/bin/ft.dll/detailfs?userid={2394B0ED-2626-4BC0-AD60-2C3B6046F572}&ndx=0&slideshow=0&AlbumId={25690A7F-1720-4B3F-9F16-2E60327BC1E3}&GroupId=&screenheight=864[/url]
Top Top