Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 7/31/2003 5:50:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/31/2003 6:45:41 PM EDT by Einrich]

www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=621

I've never seen anyone post about these here, so I thought I would enlighten ya'll. My friend used to work at a Harbor Freight and stole a bunch of shit from there(yeah he's a jackass). For some reason he pocketed a handfull of these out of the bin they were displayed in. I saw him one day and he offered me a few. I've spent $30 on a nice set of pin punches to work on my AR's with. Since I've had this I've rarely used any of them. You can completely assemble a lower receiver with one of these with no trouble whatsoever. Of course, with disassembly it helps to have a set of punches that are of smaller diameter to be able to push pins out from the other side. I find this tool especially usefull for installing the bolt release pin.

They're also really handy for making indentations in metal to making drilling easier.
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 6:23:51 PM EDT
Your link is dead, your friend is a thief (but for some reason that is ok) and you are guilty of receiving stolen property. I'm sorry, what were you talking about? Bob
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 6:49:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/31/2003 6:51:02 PM EDT by Einrich]
Originally Posted By KY-Bob: Your link is dead, your friend is a thief (but for some reason that is ok) and you are guilty of receiving stolen property. I'm sorry, what were you talking about? Bob
View Quote
I would say you weren't savvy enough to notice that the picture was correctly hyperlinked(mouseover and see the address it leads to in the browser status bar), I only messed up on linking the actual text address below the graphic. By my own admission, my friend is a moron. I am indeed guilty of received a stolen $4 center punch. You are also guilty of being a troll with nothing to add to the topic at hand.
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 7:05:23 PM EDT
It is nice that you fixed your link. Good job. However, I am the farthest thing from a troll. I am simply pointing out facts. Theft is theft. Someday you [s]will[/s] may understand that and stop bragging about it. If what I am saying is untrue, feel free to sue me for slander. The truth sucks sometimes doesn't it? When does school start back up? Bob
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 7:26:28 PM EDT
Originally Posted By KY-Bob: It is nice that you fixed your link. Good job. However, I am the farthest thing from a troll. I am simply pointing out facts. Theft is theft. Someday you [s]will[/s] may understand that and stop bragging about it. If what I am saying is untrue, feel free to sue me for slander. The truth sucks sometimes doesn't it? When does school start back up? Bob
View Quote
Or perhaps you read a little too much into my post and you've mistaken my explanation of how I came into possesion of the tool as "bragging"? The summons is in the mail for my slander suit. I return to the university to begin my sophomore year on the 4th of September.
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 8:03:33 PM EDT
kids...play nice!
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 8:19:51 PM EDT
Einrich, how does a spring loaded centerpunch help in assembling a receiver. Does the slight impact motion help drive the roll pin?
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 9:34:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/31/2003 9:38:08 PM EDT by Einrich]
Originally Posted By RELOADER-BOB: Einrich, how does a spring loaded centerpunch help in assembling a receiver. Does the slight impact motion help drive the roll pin?
View Quote
The end cap on the punch can be screwed in or out. Screwing it out elongates the spring so it is under less pressure decreasing the force, inward compresses the spring to increase the impact. When the spring is fully compressed, there is more than enough force to drive in a pin.
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 8:25:58 AM EDT
FYI slander is spoken!Lyible is writen. I learned that watching spiderman!
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 11:07:20 AM EDT
I had one of those Chinese center punches once, and it wasn't worth stealing. I've had much better luck with the Harbor Freight brass pin punches. Everybody should have at least 4 or 5 of them lying around, I use mine for almost everything.
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 9:22:49 AM EDT
Einrich, A friend of mine is a manager at the local Harbor Freight. He gets a bonus every six months based on % of sales minus shrinkage (shoplifting-EMPLOYEE THEFT-damaged goods)It is part of his salary package that feed his family. Anyway, My jackass friend wanted to know where you lived so he could come over and pocket one of your AR-15 rifles. It would be OK because he was not going to keep it, instead he was going to give it to me-so that would make it right. I then will post a thread here on AR-15.com about the cheapest AR-15 I obtained and then talk about my Jack Ass friend who works at the Harbor Freight-well you know the rest. That's OK isn't it? It is one thing to be guilty of receiving and concealing stolen property, and another telling everybody on the board that you are a criminal.
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 12:13:16 PM EDT
I think the important thing here is the link to the tool,not flaming Einrich for stolen property.His suggestion for a usable tool is valid.
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 7:48:44 AM EDT
Can you BUY these punches from Sears or somewhere else?It looks like it may be a big help especialy for the bolt roll pin that is a pain to install.
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 9:45:18 AM EDT
The problem with these spring-loaded center punches is they store energy in the spring as you push harder, then [b]WHAM!![/b] release it all at once when you hit the right spot. Seems to me this is like holding a drift punch on your bolt catch pin and telling a friend to hit it with a hammer as hard as he wants, but don't tell you when he's going to do it. I have this exact punch from Harbor Freight (although I paid for mine) and have never thought is was suitable for beating on roll pins on my ARs. One thing these punches [b]are[/b] good for is pressing up against car windows and shattering them without the loud "BANG!" you get with a hammer. Sounds like your thieving friend can use his stolen punches for breaking into cars, or sell them to his friends so they can, too. Personally, I don't like to associate with people who steal stuff. Eventually they always get around to stealing from you.
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 2:05:00 PM EDT
While this is a usefull tool for it's intended purpose I would figure that it's worthless as tits on a nun for roll pins. The impact and pointed tip are going to flare the end of the roll pin making it impossible to seat fully.Maybe if you reshaped the tip it would be of some value but I doubt it.A roll pin punch is the right tool,thats why it's called a "roll pin punch", funny how that works....eh?
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 2:46:45 PM EDT
Quote from bellin101 "I think the important thing here is the link to the tool,not flaming Einrich for stolen property.His suggestion for a usable tool is valid. " What BS Yeah his idea is crap, a good roll pin punch works better, but wait, maybe Harbor Freight doesn't sell these. I will never support or give praise to anyone who benifits from illegal activities. Einstien, from his posts doesn't know better, or just has low morals. Einrich Quote "So I thought I would enlighten ya'll " I just gave him my opinion like others have. Homo Erectus stated "Personally, I don't like to associate with people who steal stuff. Eventually they always get around to stealing from you." How true-hope he doesn't have to learn the hard way, although these lesson learned stick with you a lifetime. The important thing here is to let Einrich know people on this board are honest and don't support illegal acts and it is not right to benifit from such acts. Flame away! AMOS
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 3:48:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/9/2003 3:51:40 PM EDT by Einrich]
Originally Posted By bgenlvtex: While this is a usefull tool for it's intended purpose I would figure that it's worthless as tits on a nun for roll pins. The impact and pointed tip are going to flare the end of the roll pin making it impossible to seat fully.Maybe if you reshaped the tip it would be of some value but I doubt it.A roll pin punch is the right tool,thats why it's called a "roll pin punch", funny how that works....eh?
View Quote
I thought the same thing too until I actually tried it. I've never buggered up the end of a roll pin using it. Homo_Erectus: You can vary the amount of impact by loosening the end cap. If you're careful with it you should have no problem.
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 4:08:25 PM EDT
Originally Posted By 2-gun: FYI slander is spoken! [red]Lyible[/red] is writen. I learned that watching spiderman!
View Quote
I think that you are referring to LIABLE. Did you learn spelling from a comic book character also? [:D]
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 5:11:13 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Slash: I think that you are referring to LIABLE. Did you learn spelling from a comic book character also? [:D]
View Quote
Actually, it's spelled "libel." Looks like someone else besides 2-gun needs to brush up on their spelling. [}:D]
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 2:47:41 PM EDT
I went and purchased one of the punches yesterday.It was marked 3.99 and I got it for 50% off.It does work well.
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 8:56:27 PM EDT
That's a neat trick, but I prefer Brownell's roll pin holder set (hollow end to hold pins), and roll pin punches (with the little nib on the end). You could make your own roll pin holders by machining out the end of standard punches. These two sets make roll pin work so much easier, I don't know how I got along without them, in many endeavors. Neither of these sets will expand a roll pin, like a center punch can. I also have some roll pin punches that taper inwards so they squeeze the pin when you strike, making it even easier to fit an expanded roll pin into a smaller hole. I guess that's a lot of money to buy all those special sets, but man they were well worth the money for all the different projects I have used them on, the right tool for the right job, no regrets...
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 1:52:21 PM EDT
Let he who is without sin cast the first st-OUCH!!!
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 2:13:34 PM EDT
I think the spring loaded punch is a great idea if you cut the point and dimple the tip. Bringing up the story about how Einrich got the tool was not the best idea because it detracted from the purpose of the post. Especially in a site where probably over 90% of participans are disgusted by scumbags and would question the character of anyone who associates with them.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 6:16:35 PM EDT
Originally Posted By MADM16A1: I think the spring loaded punch is a great idea if you cut the point and dimple the tip.
Hey now that's a great idea! Gonna make me one! Thanks for the idea, it eliminates the problem I have with the tip. I will even grind one flat for standard pins...
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 6:36:30 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/14/2003 4:47:17 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Homo_Erectus:
Originally Posted By Slash: I think that you are referring to LIABLE. Did you learn spelling from a comic book character also? [:D]
View Quote
Actually, it's spelled "libel." Looks like someone else besides 2-gun needs to brush up on their spelling. [}:D]
View Quote
I stand corrected.
Link Posted: 8/14/2003 5:17:30 AM EDT
And none of the stone-throwers here ever took so much as a pen or a paperclip from their office? Ever taken a long lunch and not claimed it? If so, you stole from the company.
Link Posted: 8/14/2003 9:47:46 AM EDT
Originally Posted By MADM16A1: I think the spring loaded punch is a great idea if you cut the point and dimple the tip.
View Quote
How would you dimple it? I was thinking the same thing, but couldn't figure out a way to do it easily...
Link Posted: 8/14/2003 11:50:10 AM EDT
I'd put it in a vise, point up, and use a small drill bit on it (carbide tip).
Top Top