Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/28/2003 6:06:36 PM EDT
What do you guys normally pay for using your dealers FFL.  I was calling around town today, to see who I could order by RRA lower from Sable through, and out of the six dealers I called 4 said that they didn't do transfers and the other 2 quoted me $40 and $50 respectively.  The stripped lowers is only $95, so I hate to pay almost 50% as a fee.  I don't mind coughing up a couple of bucks, $40 and $50 sound a bit high.  Am I wrong?  Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 6:24:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Keep looking... Some FFL's seem to think they need to make big bux for writing that serial number down in their book, some do it for $15-20 bux... watch out for the jerks that try and charge you sales tax as well on the price you paid for the lower...

Check [url]www.gunbroker.com/user/DealerNetwork.asp[/url]  They maintain a listing of dealers who do internet transfers...

My local dealer charges $30 a transfer, but after I made an instore purchase he started doing them for free... good luck...
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 6:35:01 PM EDT
[#2]
my dealer charges 25.0 for a transfer.

go to the next gun show and buy a lower,they will be cheaper than or the same price since you have to pay the transfer fee. my .02
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 6:39:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Darkstar... Thanks a ton!!  2 seconds worth of looking and I found 2 dealers withing 10 miles of my house that do transfers for $20, half the price of the cheapest quote I had all day, and one of the dealers wasn't even listed in the phonebook here!  At one dealer/range that I visit almost weekly, I asked one of the salesmen (whom I grew up with) and they told me they do it sometimes for special things but would do it for me (even for a fee), and the one that quoted me $40, I've bought 2 pistols from (totaling $1300) and sent numerous friends to!  Shows what kind of customer appreciation they have!
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 9:02:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I looked into the transfer fees a few years ago when I bought a pistol off of the internet.  One dealer, the one I have purchased every gun I have ever bought locally from, wanted $50!!!  I found another shop here in town that only charged $20.  Guess which one I went with and who I'll be dealing with from now on...
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 2:51:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Mine charges $15 because I have my CCW and therefore no NICS check.  Otherwise, it would be $20.
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 6:23:26 AM EDT
[#6]
I have bought over $1500 worth of guns from my local dealer and i had to pay $140 for a $90 lower I had them transfer....
I dont have a lot of choice of gun shops in the Florida keys.
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 6:35:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Mine use to charge me $15 but last time she dropped it to $10!  
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 6:40:14 AM EDT
[#8]
I pay $20...not bad, but I'd rather pay nothing lol.  
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 7:40:32 AM EDT
[#9]
My FFL charges $45 for paper work and then $15 fr NICs, I have no choice of dealers.
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 7:54:09 AM EDT
[#10]
I have two dealers that I use.  One charges $15 and the other charges $20.  

The $20 dealer is much closer to my house, but won't handle any AR related transfers since he sells them himself and would rather you buy his offerings.  The $15 dealer is quite a bit farther away, but will transfer anything.  

I use them both faily often.  Just depends on what I'm buying.
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 8:36:20 AM EDT
[#11]
My FFL charges $60, $40 for transfer & $20 for the Feds, each, even if theres more than one on the same form. And thats a deal, most dealers in this area want the $60 plus 10% of the transaction.
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 11:11:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My FFL charges $60, $40 for transfer & $20 for the Feds, each, even if theres more than one on the same form. And thats a deal, most dealers in this area want the $60 plus 10% of the transaction.
View Quote

that is absolute usury!!  What is this "$20 for the Feds", bribes?  I'm aware of NO $20 fee that needs to go to any Federal agency for a simple transfer.  Is there something I don't know.  In VA, the NICS is $2 and is included in the $20 fee.  

Man, sorry to hear this...I'll never bitch about the paltry $20 I gotta pay again.  
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 1:24:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
What is this "$20 for the Feds", bribes?
View Quote

He lives in the PRK.  The $20 goes to pay down the $300M deficit.
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 3:25:42 PM EDT
[#14]
I will always try to buy from the local dealer as long as he is within reason and I will never ask him to do a transfer without first giving him the opportunity to sell me what it is I need. I have to go about 40 miles to get RRA lowers for $119 and do so willingly as he has them in stock no waiting.That's worth $20 to me. I would not pay 50% of the value of the purchase as a service fee unless I was VERY motivated. I understand and appreciate the fact that operating a store front is an expensive proposition and commands a reasonable premium for the convenience. That being said if some dealer ATTEMPTED to charge me $50+ for a simple transfer I would leave him for good,he would get none of my money EVER .Reasonable profits are one thing piracy is another. I think that $20-$25 is "reasonable and customary"  out side of that would require special circumstances and additional consideration.YMMV
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 5:09:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Here's another good one. I have this gunsmith/FFL I used to deal with. His shop is 10 minutes from Numerich Gun parts (I think THE Largest supplier of gun parts) and he goes there twice a week. I aksed him to get me a lower receiver from there the next time he went. I wanted an Eagle Arms but they don't carry them some unknown "brand" but mil-spec. He said for $35 he would get me one. Then I started to talk to him about the Eagle Arms (I really wanted one) He said he WOULD NOT do a transfer for me if I ordered from Quantico or anyone else(at $100 who could beat Quantico). He then said he could order but it would be on backorder for 30-60 days and he wanted $160. So I said go ahead and get one from Numerich, he said sure for $50 instead of $35. Needless to say I won't go back to him.
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 5:10:45 PM EDT
[#16]
So now I ordered a bunch of raw forgings and I am going to machine my own.
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 12:46:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Found a pawn shop in town that does them for $10!
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 2:23:07 PM EDT
[#18]
$25 for a transfer. No argument there.
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 3:51:50 PM EDT
[#19]
E-mail me, I know an FFL holder in the Lexington, SC area who is into AR's and he charges a flat $25 PER ORDER, not per weapon etc, just $25 Per order.  He has a nice little shop as well.

He only charged me $25 to recieve a Colt HBAR and 4 MEGA lowers.

[email protected]
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 4:53:26 PM EDT
[#20]
My brother-in-law has a freind who does them for nothing.  I bought my brohter-in-law a stripped RRA, "US PROPERTY" marked lower the last time I had something shipped to him.  That time it cost me $125 in FFL fees for a $125 receiver (I bought 2).

On average it's probably about 2-3 bucks, not counting shipping.
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 6:36:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Guess I can't complain. My transfer fee is usually lunch with my 01 who is a good friend. And lunch is usually at Luby's so it is cheep.
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 9:46:24 PM EDT
[#22]
One case of Coke. All I can say is, it pays to make a few phonecalls guys.[;D]
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 11:27:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Darkstar -

Wow!!  What a great link!  That just saved me a ton of time and phone calls.  I've asked several of the gun stores I've been to here in DFW, and they have all been $35-$50.

When I was in Austin a friend put me in touch with an old guy that only charged $11.  
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 12:01:34 PM EDT
[#24]
What's an inter net transfer reguarding ffl transfers?
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top