Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/27/2003 7:07:56 PM EDT
I had the opportunity this weekend to carefully compare several new Bushmaster A2 upper receivers with new J&T Distributing receivers. The triangular "A" makers mark that they both carry is, I believe, American Forging, or some similar name.  What I found interesting is that all had the same odd tool marks at the bottom of the carry handle along the top of the receiver body.  The tool marks are clearly visible therougfh the black anodizing and appear as gray dashes, ie: "- - - - - - -".

It appears that BM doesn't make their upper receivers since they are identical, down to the odd tool marks, to the ones provided by J&T Distributing. Anyone know, is this correct?

Is their flat top A3 receiver also the same as J&T??

The tool marks are not present on Colt A2 uppers.

Link Posted: 7/27/2003 7:41:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Now why would you assume the major manufacture of complete rifles isnt making their recievers as opposed to the parts supply company?
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 8:15:56 PM EDT
[#2]
FWIW, I've heard from a few people "in the biz" that several "name" companies don't do they're own forgings.  One of them even gave me some names of a couple of companies that do the forgings...but I promplty forgot them, 'cos I'm OLD [:D].  
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 6:56:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Colt, Bushmaster, DPMS, and Oly have all been using uppper receivers, and carry handles, with the [url=www.anchorharvey.com]Anchor Harvey[/url] "splintered A" forge mark.
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 7:25:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Since, as you indicate, Colt, Bushmaster, DPMS, and Oly have all been using uppper receivers, and carry handles, with the Anchor Harvey "splintered A" forge mark,
Why pay extra for a "name" upper?

Also, is this true for the BM Vmax upper receiver that list for $159 in BM's catalog?

Link Posted: 7/28/2003 12:37:01 PM EDT
[#5]
All the manufacturer's sub-contract their parts from a couple of different companies, such as;
[url=www.yhm.net]Yankee Hill Machine[/url]
or
[url=www.continentalmachinetool.com/firearms.html]Continental Machine Tool[/url]

and then the detail and finish work is then done "inhouse" by the manufacturer, to their standards.
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 12:53:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Why pay extra for a "name" upper?
View Quote

For a stripped upper, not too much difference except for "little" details like the coating
Bushmaster adds to the inside of the upper.
Also, some of the cheaper ones are cast and not forged, or finish is poor.

What you are paying top dollar for on a complete barreled upper is the barrel.

Overall --> You Get What You Pay For.

~ s0ulzer0
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 1:02:37 PM EDT
[#7]
The forgings all come from the same foundries.  Its how they final machining is done that determines the quality of the part.
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 3:13:13 PM EDT
[#8]
just one more thing- you also pay for quality control.

I've heard great things about J&T. If something is wrong, it sounds like they will make it right with you.

With the top names, it should be a rare thing for something to be wrong and have gotten out the door.

For me, I like making and fixing and fooling around. Bargain parts can be fun. If my life was on the line, I would get a Bushmaster or Colt.

Fortunately, at my stage of life, I pay strong, smart, well trained young people to risk their lives for me. God bless 'em.

Pete
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top