Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 7/25/2003 7:28:46 PM EDT
I've got a wild hair to make an AR with stainless receivers, barrel, hardware and wood furniture. I see that DPMS has stainless lowers, but does anyone make a stainless upper? What about hardware (mag release, selector, etc). Any resources appreciated.

--Joe
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 11:25:27 PM EDT
We have sold a few hard chromed trigger, hammer, takedown pins, selectors, etc. made by DPMS. Not so "stainless" shiny, but definately different. Let me know if I can help. Robert www.rbprecision.com
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 4:38:10 AM EDT
Why not build the rifle you want and have it hardchromed? You can select matte or polished, and it not only looks great, but is very durable. Might be cheaper in the long run vs. stainless. Just my 2 cents worth. Good luck with your build!
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 7:57:52 AM EDT
I have a copy of the JAn 2003 issue of "GUNS & WEAPONS FOR LAW ENFORCEMENT" and on the cover is a photo of the new RROC M4A1 Conversion. The conversion is intended to reduce the cyclic rate on full-auto fire for better controlability, and increased reliability. Anyway, the rifle appears to have a stainless upper and lower! It's pretty cool looking. They don't give a web address for Advanced Device Design who makes the conversion, but the email address is Bobspc@earthlink.net . The rest of the contact info is 433 E. McKinley St., Dept GW/LE, Tempe, AZ 85261, (480) 945-4950. Good luck in your search, and let me know if you find your stainless parts, I've thought about doing one too.
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 10:09:44 AM EDT
I always thought a AR with all the metal chrome plated with a blue stock set would be rather "cool" looking Tropic
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 1:35:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/26/2003 1:36:41 PM EDT by JCKnife]
Originally Posted By mark1174: Why not build the rifle you want and have it hardchromed? You can select matte or polished, and it not only looks great, but is very durable. Might be cheaper in the long run vs. stainless. Just my 2 cents worth. Good luck with your build!
View Quote
Wouldn't that make the holes too small for all the various pins and stuff?
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 1:52:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/26/2003 6:29:27 PM EDT by Russ4777]
Traditional hard chrome plating cannot be applied to non-ferrous (aluminum) parts. You could have your receivers acid dipped to remove the black dye and anodizing, polish or bead blast the parts to your desired luster then have them clear anodized. Most all the steel parts for the AR are available hard chrome plated through DPMS.
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 11:51:09 AM EDT
Thanks for pointing that out, Russ. Here's an update: DPMS does offer at least one rifle with a clear-coat anodized upper: http://www.dpmsinc.com/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=RF-RG I have an e-mail in to them asking if they can make lowers that way, too. I'll call them if I don't hear back.
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 12:35:16 PM EDT
Try KG Coatings, they have a spray on finish that comes in a flat stainless finish, as well as gold and about ten other colors. Spray on, bake for one hour at 350 degrees, and it is supposed to be impervious to solvents/chemicals. Rated against Hydrocloric and Sulfuric acid for one hour total immersion.
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 3:09:01 PM EDT
We need some pictures in here!
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 6:55:41 AM EDT
In The July 21 03 issue of Shotgun News DSAinc. has the free float tube style hand guards in walnut wood also a walnut stock and a walnut tatical pistiol grip with adjustable palm [url]www.dsarms.com [/url]
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 8:32:34 AM EDT
Thanks, 2-gun: I had spotted those also and was strongly considering them. Only drawback is they only seem to offer carbine-length wood handguards, and I intend to build a 20". But, it's a start! Also I did find this one link with a pic of an AR with wood furniture, but it's got black receivers and barrel, so it's not quite what I'm after. http://www.ont.com/users/kolya/AR15/AR15wd.jpg
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 12:18:46 PM EDT
see www.apwcogan.com
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 3:52:50 PM EDT
John at JP Enterprises turned me on to this SOCOM receiver from Brownells. Anyone have experience with these? Are these specs (hole sizes) non-standard? http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=1462#specs
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 4:54:03 PM EDT
Maybe if everyone had a pretty red rifle then they would be "LESS OFFENSIVE" and states like banifornia wouldn't have a ban at all. Maybe that can be written in the laws, as long as it is a pretty rifle it is legal.
Top Top