Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2003 3:57:23 PM EDT
Hello,

I wanted to get the take on these two kits.  I am looking to build a 24" Varmit on a RRA lower.  I was curious what everyone thought of these two kits?

I like the options availible with the JT but the M & A comes with a Wilson match grade barrel.  I am not as familiar with the Shaw.  Anyway, lookin for the highest qualitly for around 700.

Sorr if this is a redundant thread!!  I did some searches and found JT vs model1 but not much on M&A.

Thanks so much
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 4:04:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I've heard enough good stuff from M&A to give them a look for my next build.  J&T seems to have the most good "press" from the folks here, they seemed to have made a lot of people happy.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 4:21:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I to am building a 24 inch upper and have researched it to death .What I have found from other post is the J&T guys seem to get good feed back .I have heard some negitive things about M&A but that is only hear say not somthing I know.I would like to ask you if you have 700 to spend on a upper why don't you get a RRA or Bushmaster varrmit they are in that ptice range and I have heard good things about both?
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 10:32:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm looking to spend around 700 on the complete kit.  Going with bushmaster or RRA would be nice.  That's kinnda why I was curious about M&A - RRA and M&A both utilize wilson match barrels.  I can get away with all the features I'm initially looking for within my budget.

Thanks so the feedback!!

Scott
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 9:59:31 AM EDT
[#4]
"Wilson" / "Shaw"....."Gucci" / "Armani".......I don't think there's much difference. Both are 4140 Chrome-moly barrels. Both have the potential to provide good accuracy. Where the difference lies is in the other components that make up the balance of the respective kits, and in the care / quality in assembling the uppers.
I have no experience with M&A, but I do with J&T. And with little exception, I'd put their product in the quality line-up with any other AR manufacturer or parts distributor. If the decision comes down to who markets the 'better' barrel.....flip a coin. JMHO.
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 11:41:44 AM EDT
[#5]
I just built my first, so I can offer an opinion on only one.  M&A processed and sent my kit as promised, recieved in less than a week.  Finish, in my newbee opinion is excellent and everything went together perfectly with my Olympic Arms lower, no problems with fit or matching finish.  If you do run into a problem M&A will rectify it ASAP (my kit was only missing a bolt stop detent plunger and they sent it out the next day, no questions).  I won't hesitate to do business with or recommend M&A Parts.
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 1:47:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I built one of M&A's 7 inch kits into a fixed mag pistol and I was pretty impressed with the fit and finnish.

It's is very accurate, enough so many people who have shot it have mentioned the fact. Group size is almost entirely comprised of vertical stringing. Lotsa recoil and loud loud loud...with military loads, but quite nice to shoot with underloaded ammo like wolf.

This is with a stock M & A barrel? whatever they threw in the box. I really like M&A's reduced size buffer tube for the pistol kit as well.

The one negitive I have is the paint? finnish? on the brass deflector chiped in a small place and silver shows through, though I believe this was caused more by the short barrel coupled with the short recoil buffer than any fault in M&A's finnish.

I'm praying for the AWB to sunset so I can load this thing the right way.
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 6:55:52 AM EDT
[#7]
I have built a a J&T tactical light weight kit and found the kit great (even included extra spring and detent) delivery was very fast.
Great experience
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top