Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/10/2003 5:09:08 AM EDT
On one of my 16" uppers I installed a 2 piece aluminum free float tube, nice unit but after two 30 round mags it heats up to the point that you cannot hold on (unless you have an oven mitt or similar that is).

Any ideas on making this cooler, or should I just switch to a standard handguard setup? Didnt someone here make a float tube from some type of plastic tubing?
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 5:18:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Ya might consider wrapping that aluminum float tube in "para-cord", which may help w/ your heat transfer problem. It's easy and relatively inexpensive.

Mike
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 5:24:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Have you put rail covers on the tube?  
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 5:27:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Para cord might be an idea although i probably dont have the sailors skills to do it without instructions (hint, hint).

How do you mean rail covers?
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 5:40:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Vertical handle?

Rail covers?

I think that the para-cord might be bad, it will insulate you from the heat, but will trap all that heat in the rifle. The rail covers might be a better idea as the will allow some heat dissipation, while giving you spaces to hold onto OLY and Bushmaster both sell rail covers on their sites.

[url]bushmaster.com/shopping/handguards/sch-6.asp[/url]
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 5:43:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Para cord might be an idea although i probably dont have the sailors skills to do it without instructions (hint, hint).
View Quote

Okay, [url]http://groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/wrapyourhandguardswithparacord.msnw[/url]

or perhaps this method here: [url]http://www.therangerdigest.com/Tips___Tricks/PARA-CORD_KNIFE_HANDLE/body_para-cord_knife_handle.html[/url]

Mike
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 6:35:43 AM EDT
[#6]
How can you use rail covers on a FF tube with no rails?
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 7:56:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
How can you use rail covers on a FF tube with no rails?
View Quote

You're right, you can't, but I don't have cable, therefore no ESPN. So I can't know whether or no his handguard has rails, or not.
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 9:54:38 AM EDT
[#8]
No rails, this is a solid aluminum 2 piece float tube.

For occasional woodchuck blasting and slow fire this is fine, but ripping off mags in rapid fire this is most unpleasant.

Mr. Wilson, thanks for the links, I will give that a try first.

What about ventilating the handguard?
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 12:32:15 PM EDT
[#9]
You can add rails to your free float tube.    Then You can add some rail covers and if you want some accessories.  
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 2:13:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Armalite - Free Float Fiberglass Tube is a possible solution.

M15(T) National Match Fiberglass Handguard Tube
Green EU0068 $90.00
Black EU0067 $90.00

Also exits in Carbine size
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 4:06:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Carbon fiber is also available.
You could add a bottom rail and a vertical grip.
***But check with Hougue and Pacmeyer one of them makes a rubber sleeve /cover for this purpose. It is solid so it will trap the heat but unless you are fullauto I don't think this will be a problem. Also between strings od fire stand/hold the gun with the muzzle up. It makes a big differrence compared with laying it on its side.
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 6:21:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the help guys, I have thought it over and decided to switch to standard carbine handguards.

The para cord idea is good but to bulky and I really like the idea of carbon but have a Carbon 15 rifle that covers that, so its the handguards for me.

Jeff
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 3:20:59 PM EDT
[#13]
here is a FF in camo...
[url="http://www.hunt101.com/?p=51497&c=529&z=1"][img]http://www.hunt101.com/img/051497.JPG[/img][/url]
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top