Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/8/2003 10:32:40 PM EDT
I am getting ready for my first build.  Everything is pretty clear except the part when you install and torque the extension tube to the lower receiver.  How are you guy torquing to the required 35-39 ft-lbs?  Any clever idea on how to do this with a regular torque wrench?

Thanks for your help.
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 2:45:11 AM EDT
[#1]
The torque reading of 35-39 ft-lbs is actually taken using a torque wrench along with a combination wrench.  The combination wrench is designed to be used with both receiver extensions and barrel nuts and has a 1/2" square drive opening for torque wrenches or breaker bars...

The TM 9-1005-319-23 Unit And Direct Support Maintenance Manual shows how to do it...

You can download it in .pdf format here, right mouse click the link and select 'save as' to download it as a file to your computer:

[url]www.ar15.com/content/books[/url]

Link Posted: 7/9/2003 7:24:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks. I guess I was trying to avoid having to buy the $25 combination wrench.  Maybe it's worth to have on hand anyway.
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 8:03:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Thanks. I guess I was trying to avoid having to buy the $25 combination wrench.  Maybe it's worth to have on hand anyway.
View Quote

Ok Midway has them for $12.75, I'll quit whining.  Thanks again.
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 8:07:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Buy a cheap 5/8" 'crowsfoot' for your torque wrench.  It looks like a super short open end wrench with a square hole to attach to the square drive of your torque wrench.

Or just guess at the torque with your conventional end wrench.  If your wrench is 6" long, then give it a 70 lb pull.
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 8:19:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Buy a cheap 5/8" 'crowsfoot' for your torque wrench.  It looks like a super short open end wrench with a square hole to attach to the square drive of your torque wrench.

Or just guess at the torque with your conventional end wrench.  If your wrench is 6" long, then give it a 70 lb pull.
View Quote

Yeah thanks!  That's the kind of tip I was hoping for.
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 8:33:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Is tourque really a huge issue I just put mine on tight with a box wrench , and 1500+ rounds later its all still good.

I can understand on the barrel nut.
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 9:25:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Is tourque really a huge issue I just put mine on tight with a box wrench , and 1500+ rounds later its all still good.

I can understand on the barrel nut.
View Quote

Exactly
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 9:33:29 AM EDT
[#8]
How about "hand-tightening" for free? Mine has never come loose...
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 10:11:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Some folks use a strap wrench, with no problem.  I did mine with a cheapo strap wrench, which I ended up tossing out as soon as I got done...I figure it's on there about as tight as I could get it by hand heheh.

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top