Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 7/2/2003 6:34:53 AM EDT
I'm still picking out parts for the smaller/lighter/cheaper AR project. The goal is to build a quality, low-weight, near-subgun-sized AR with as little cash as is reasonable and no NFA paperwork.

It's stacking up like this:

Lower recvr: Mega (forged post-ban)
Upper recvr: Model One Lightweight CAR A4 w/ picatinny gas block (Yes, I'm willing to wait for it)
Lower parts kit:DPMS
Optics: OKO 4W
Bolt/Carrier: ?
Buttstock:
This is where the indecision is, because of weight and overall length.
My understanding is that the RRA Tac Entry stock is about 2.5 inches shorter than an A2 stock. I am one of those "6 foot 2 inch monkey armed people" that Troy refers to. I figure that by mounting the optics way forward, this won't be a problem.
The other option is to pick up a collapsible telestock and pick a setting to pin it in. If I did this, I might wind up pinning it in position 2 instead of position one.
Does anyone know how much the RRA Tac Entry stock weighs with tube and buffer? What about the average 4-position stock?

Which would you choose?
-Hobbit
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 7:08:05 AM EDT
I'm 6'6" and all my post-ban rifles wear A1 stocks. Get one from Cavalry Arms. The RRA entry stock is just too short for use without body armor and the fixed tele-stock is just silly. When the ban expires next year you can put a real tele-stock on it.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 7:48:55 AM EDT
Putting a real tele-stock on it next year would be ideal... if it happens. I did look into the A1 length stock, but it's $80.00 for the full setup. The Brownell's catalog lets me get a full setup of other configurations for $45.00 or so. -Hobbit
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 8:27:15 AM EDT
Also check with [url]http://cmmginc.com/[/url] they have some very nice used Colt A1 stocks. I picked up three of them and they are very nice.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 10:24:39 AM EDT
Under recommendation of MANY people, I ordered an A1 (C1) CavArms stock from Coal Creek. My A2 is just too long for me, but i guess it depends on how long your arms and neck are.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 12:22:47 PM EDT
Thanks for the heads up on the A1's at CMMG. Does the A1 use the same tube/buffer/spring setup as the A2? Any got a clue on weights for the various buttstock setups? -Hobbit
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 1:19:14 PM EDT
The tube/buffer/spring are the same A1 to A2 only with the A2 you add a plastic spacer. Don't know weights but the Cav Arms A1 stock is lighter than a Colt. The Colt's have some sort of insulation in them that is rather heavy.
Top Top