Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/28/2003 7:26:40 AM EDT
I was wondering if you could build one, And if you can what is the general cost. I know I want to build an ar i just cant decide which kind!

Thanks
 Justin
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 9:44:54 AM EDT
[#1]
uh.yeah ya can build one, jus get an 9mm upper, bolt and mag, why would ya wanna do that though? most ppl that build 9mm do it for specific reasons, like LE can only carry 9mm carbines, i mean the ammo isnt cheapr than .223. unless ya want a 9mm rifle. and if it is AR platform, it still has to follow all the rules for postban/preban.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 6:27:01 AM EDT
[#2]
All you need is a barrel, any upper to hold the barrel, and a bolt, and a method to feed it.

You can make Colt pattern barrels easy enough, machine a piece of barrel stock, cut it to desired length, chamber it and run. Sight posts, threads are optional. Funny to see a 1" rough cut chambered blank sticking out the front of an upper, finish contouring is optional also.

Mine is stuck to spare flat top, have a red dot for it.  Cut the front of the barrel in what ever style you want.

I chose to have mine cut to look like an Uzi SMG with out the barrel nut, so I can use my Uzi suppressor.

Next idea is 40 S&W. I know Kurt is working a Colt pattern 40.

[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid58/p726e8449982866f7c043f7d68ede5a26/fc681fb5.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 6:55:35 AM EDT
[#3]
OH btw,, that pic is of a SBR, it may not be legal in your neck of the woods, Here where i live you must fill out form 4 to own what is in that picture above, becareful what ya build.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 12:25:25 PM EDT
[#4]
The main reason for buildling a 9mm is that you can shoot your AR at the pistol range.  The closest range I can use my rifle at is 45 minutes away, and is only open in the summer.  In the winter I can use the 9 at the local pistol range and still keep up the skills.  Besides, it ought to get a lot of looks from folks!

I am currently "building" one in the sense that I am getting a RRA 9mm upper and then buildling a dedicated lower as budget allows.  I plan on using the lower from my M4 w/ a 9mm RRA hammer until I have more $$$ to finish out the dedicated lower.  

I also figure this is a good plan, as by the time I ACTUALLY get arond to finishing the lower, I will know whether or not the AW ban passed, and then can put a real collapsible stock on the built-up lower.

As for cost, you will have a tough time saving $$$ by buildling the lower, and from what I have found, you pretty much just buy a 9mm upper and a mag block adapter.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 2:26:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
OH btw,, that pic is of a SBR, it may not be legal in your neck of the woods, Here where i live you must fill out form 4 to own what is in that picture above, becareful what ya build.
View Quote

HMMM.... I kinda wondered about that piece of paper I had with funny looking postage stamp affixed to the front and all them signatures would be good for anything.

I built mine via a Form-1 "Make and Register",,, Form-4 is "Tax Paid Tranfer".  

The lower (serial number) is registered as SBR, this is my 4th upper, I gots 7.5", 11.5", 12" in 5.56, and a 8.5" 9mm.  For those of you that don't want SBR/can't have SBR, cut the barrel at 16.5".

All NFA rules apply, and so does the AW stuff.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top