Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 6/26/2003 9:25:32 AM EDT
I have heard the thin "pencil" barrels like the "A1 government" contour shift point of aim after 10 or so rounds have been fired. Another source (selling fluted barrels) says that a fluted mid weight barrel is nearly as light, but much more stable.

Can any of you personally verify this? I know the claims, but it it hype ot fact?
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 7:51:20 AM EDT
Part hype and part fact, in my opinion; since it depends on what you're using the piece for. If I fire a quick bunch of rounds thru either of my early barrels (one 20" A1 type and one SP1 Carbine barrel cut to 11.5" w/a XM177 type flash hider} and then sit down at a bench rest, the point of impact has moved up an inch or so at 100 yds, and the groups are usually a tad bigger than when I start cold and fire one every 2 or 3 minutes. On the other hand, I'm not looking for match or bench rest type groups out of either of these pieces, so I don't consider the change to be significant. A match or varmint shooter might though.[:D]
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 11:21:56 AM EDT
The reason I am inquiring is that I am planning a light weight scoped varmint rifle, seeking close to MOA accuracy AND would like the whole rig to be close to six pounds. I think the AR15 platform has a lot to offer with light-weight free float tubes and great accuracy potential. Actually this question is about barrels themselves, not the action type (auto-loader or bolt-action, etc). I have a bull barrel AR15 that is superbly accurate, but too heavy to carry for a casual stroll through prarrie dog land (which can be miles and take hours). I don't want to build another heavy rifle, nor do I want a light weight that shoots 6" somewhere else at 200 yards after 10 rounds. I will have a 2-7x or similar scope, so I will know if it is shifting.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 5:24:50 PM EDT
The most accurate barrel I own is an old 20" Colt SP1 pencil barrel. The 1/12 twist LOVES anything near 55gr. It's IBZO'd at 50yds right now. Just need to verify and fine tune at 200m. :)
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 10:49:31 PM EDT
I've got a 16" superlight that shoots moa all day long. Yes there's some horizontal stringing during rapid fire but just about EVERY barrel will exhibit a shift in POI as it heats up.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 2:31:41 PM EDT
In my opinion, and from the information that I've learned here at ar15.com., I would have to say that Tactus hit the nail on the head when he mentioned "rapid fire" POI shift. If you are varmint hunting, etc. such as a shot now and then, the barrel shouldn't be affected enough by heating up to affect accuracy very much at all, ecpecially if the barrel is free floated. I would estimate that the most advantage of a heavier barrel would be in the steadiness it would allow for the long shots. Harry
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 5:51:47 AM EDT
Originally Posted By HarryD: ...... I would have to say that Tactus hit the nail on the head when he mentioned "rapid fire" POI shift. If you are varmint hunting, etc. such as a shot now and then, the barrel shouldn't be affected enough by heating up to affect accuracy very much at all, ecpecially if the barrel is free floated... Harry
View Quote
Well I hope so, I just finished another project and this light varmint rig is next. I need at least 20" of barrel to keep the velocity up and a light free-float tube is definitely in the cards. I have a Calvary Arms (synthetic) lower that I may use, but it just feels too long. If they ever get their new standard length one in actual production I may "trade up" to it.
Top Top