Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 6/25/2003 9:52:33 PM EDT
You can't make an omlette without breaking a few eggs.

What guns have you ruined, or at least mangled, by learning home smithing?

I at least started working on beater guns. I learned a lot on a cutdown 1893 Brazilian Mauser. Still am, and I am going to shorten that action next.

I have a beat up 1911 I practiced installing sights on.

I bought a rusted up Marlin 1892 to work on too.

I tinker a lot with components like barrel blanks, barstock, and raw forgings, so that can't really be considered ruining a gun.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 2:56:50 AM EDT
I've only RUINED one (so far). That was a Colt Walker repro that I used "non corrosive" Pyrodex in and then put it down it the basement for a few days before I got back to clean it. It was red inside and out. I took it apart and never did put it back together. That was 10 years ago. I never "RUINED" anything else. I have bought a replacement barrel nut, ejecter and spring (reloading lesson), replacement trigger.....and a couple hundred in other parts though.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 3:38:10 AM EDT
i converted a 1917 colt in 45LC to fire .45 ACP using full moon clips. i was told i could. turns out when you do it dangerously weakens the frame. i have a philosophy of buying 3 sets of parts for a gun i will work on and i usually ruin 1-2 of each part getting it to fit right. i can buy the parts for X amount of money or get a gun smith to do the work for the same amount but i would rather tinker and have fun than get a "professional gun butcher" to work on my guns.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 7:58:58 AM EDT
I have yet to ruin any guns, but now you have me a little paranoid. [smash] I've got two ARs under my belt, I'm currently rebuilding an old Spanish Mauser and I'm about to attempt to build an M1 Garand. You can bet now that I will be very very very careful with the M1...
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 3:03:49 PM EDT
does a AMT hardballer count.....besides that I have killed a 7x57 mauser.....and have a marlin and a savage that I havent killed off yet...
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 3:06:55 PM EDT
never killed any but have resurrected a few Cruizer
Top Top