Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/24/2003 1:34:25 PM EDT
I want a shorter and lighter weight barrel. Like... 18" or so.

I want it to be very accurate. I have no desire for chrome lined- personal pref.

If I REALLY wanted a barrel, I know exactly what to do- get out the check book, and get in line for a top notch barrel.

Nah- too easy!

How hard is it to move the barrel thingamabob that sets headspace? I mean, for a real AR-smith.

My idea is to pick up a used 20" Hbar, and snick some off the back and accurately rechamber, then snick some off the front end.

Is this a false savings? Should I just buy a barrel blank and have it made to oreder?

Other question- is their any reason a handguard must cover the entire gas tube? Is it a safety issue, somehow?

I'm starting to think a carbine guard withsome gas tube showing might actually look kind of cool.

Pete
(Hey, I'm building a bang-toy, not a weapon somebody's life will hang on!)
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 2:29:59 PM EDT
[#1]
It's pretty common to take a 20", have 2" taken off the front and have the gas port opened up, to make the 18" "SPR" barrels. No need to mess with the barrel extension and deal with realighning the index pin and the gasport.
I have had four barrels worked on, and a handfull of parts, by Mike at Ohio Rapid Fire.([url=ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=25&t=139752]me223[/url] on the EE!) He has done this type of work on several FAL barrels.

-ed; btw, he would also be able to lighten that HBAR profile.[;)]
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 5:39:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I might be beating this thing to death. I'm looking to build an upper that matches an ARFX... know what I mean?
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 4:16:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Well if you're realy a Sadist-Masochist and money is no object you can do what you have out lined.  It probably isn't going to be any more accurate or cheaper than to just get a new barrel and have it made to your specs.

What is an ARFX?

Edited to add that the gas tube will get realy, realy hot and like I said above if you like pain....leave it exposed.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 5:44:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, bring on the pain.

If I wanted another rifle, I would just buy it. Where is the fun in that?

So, I'm trying to put a concept thing together from bargain parts. Notack is providing the ARFX stock set.

The theme is "tubes."

Pete
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top