Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 6/23/2003 2:56:55 PM EDT
Gentlemen, please pardon if I offend, but I know what I want, just can't afford the $1400+ being asked for SP1s.
I see a number of SP1 uppers being offered, and I can see me -- here it comes -- removing the nasty lug and shortening the barrel(as little as possible). I know this would offend collectors out there, but:

1. - would I be breaking any laws?
2. - would putting it on a post ban lower be legal?
3. - is it only the front "pivot" pin that is large? -- or is the rear pin a problem too, when putting it on a post ban lower? I assume I could "bush" the pivot pin.

Thanks for your help.

Link Posted: 6/23/2003 3:24:53 PM EDT
1 & 2 - not a problem, legally, as long as you remove the bayonet lug and muzzle threads. 3. only the pivot pin is large - rear is standard.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 3:35:07 PM EDT
Thanks for the response. I know that in the AK world there is a barrel nut to cover the threads -- usually fixed with a spot of weld. I haven't seen any such thing for the AR. Again, thanks
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 5:10:11 PM EDT
So why not cut the flash suppressor that's already there back to the muzzle,and spot weld, or even better, permanently mount one of the lookalike muzzle brakes?
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 10:52:26 AM EDT
spot welding is not legal for removing muzzle threads under the AW ban. The spot-welded ak muzzle nuts were pre-1994 - they must come in bare-muzzled since then, or with a post-ban compliant brake attached in ATF approved fasion (seam welding, 1100F silver solder, or blind-pinned and welded). Permanent attachment of a post-ban legal brake of some kind (even a 'lookalike' like a cavcomp or kurt's tac-brake) will do the trick. You could also make up a muzzle nut instead of a post-ban legal muzzle brake, and have that permanently attached. With so many decent-looking and (more important) reasonably functional post-ban brake options, most people don't bother with a simple muzzle nut - although they could make/use one if they chose to.
Top Top