Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 6/20/2003 11:54:30 PM EDT
well i think ive decided that its time for a 2nd rifle, and i think i want to build this one. where should i start? what all do i need to get? how much money am i looking at?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 9:57:12 AM EDT
1. Get a stripped lower receiver 2. Get a lower receiver parts kit 3. Get a stripped upper receiver 4. Get an upper receiver parts kit 5. Get a complete barrel assy including handguard 6. Get a Technical Manual 7. Get correct tools to assemble the above 8. Assemble the above 9. Do a precautionary headspace check 10. Go have fun Total cost = Minimum of $500-$750 for all new components depending on what kind of shopper you are and which vendors (read "quality") you choose.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 2:54:54 PM EDT
Thank you
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 3:04:28 PM EDT
Lots of outfits offer complete kits minus the lower. J&T & Model 1 come to mind. Scan the EE (Equipment Exchange) board. You can find everything you need there and will save a buck or 2. You can probably get by for under $600 to all the way up depending on what do dads and stuff you get on it.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 4:20:03 PM EDT
Russ's advice is if you want to build from the group up: ie, you don't want anything pre-assembled. My advice would be to get the stripped lower, then a Model 1 parts kit if you want to have the pain in the ass upper already assembled. They can be a bitch the first time around, but if you want to go all out, then by all means buy everything separate. For the stripped lower and the Model 1 kit you will pay $550 total.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 7:31:58 PM EDT
Yes by all means check out the Exchange board. Do some research first find out what you want in your rifle, what's your budget. There are many mant good people and deals to be had here on this board. I am buying a DPMS model ba-16tb "tuber" comp upper and R/R std lower for $567 shipped.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 10:12:42 AM EDT
It is essential that you read and digest all the postings in this section,particularly those relating to disasterous attempts at assembly.Run through the procedures several times in your head before putting tool to part.That way it sort of becomes second nature whilst putting the whole thing together.With all the info the board and it's members offer, as long as you keep refering back to it when the time comes,you'll have no problems.The choice of parts to use is secondary,as the final product depends greatly on the quality of build.Always select the best you can afford. Good Luck
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 6:33:42 PM EDT
I just recently built my first AR with a kit from J&T. It was real easy to build. The only tools I used was a set of roll pin punches, a hammer,a flat screwdriver, and the pivot pin tool from Brownells. It made much easier not having to worry about that pin flying across the room. Good luck with yours.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 11:12:32 PM EDT
excelent. makes me wonder why i paid $1100 for my colt. hehe
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 11:20:44 PM EDT
im looking here are these complete guns? http://webcats.net/store/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=J&Category_Code=K
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 5:22:08 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Jason4522: im looking here are these complete guns? http://webcats.net/store/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=J&Category_Code=K
View Quote
No, those are the kits. They include everything except the lower receiver and magazines. You will need to buy the stripped lower receiver ($89-$125 + transfer), a kit and some magazines. If it were my money, I'd look hard at ADCO.com. You can get a RRA complete upper and complete lower, pin them together and you've got a weapon that will hold some value pretty damn close to what a kit and stripped lower will cost you. Having built one, my opinion is that there is nothing you learn from the process that you couldn't figure out with an assembled lower.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 10:06:31 AM EDT
ADCO.com is a oil site??
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 10:51:13 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Jason4522: ADCO.com is a oil site??
View Quote
[banghead] don't know what I was thinking...must be part of the vast rightwing comspiracy to support the oil companies...try adcofirearms.com
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 1:23:43 PM EDT
lol, thank you
Top Top