Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/18/2003 9:22:26 AM EDT
I am planning on building my first AR. I really have my heart set on a Bushmaster M4.

http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/weaponskit/pwka2x14m4my.asp

I know if I don't get it excacly like I want I will buy it eventually. So it is cheaper to just do it right the first time. So why are the Bushmaster kits so expensive? Does anyone else sell these kits or do you have to buy them from Bushmaster?
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 10:24:10 AM EDT
[#1]
The following is my opinion, based on a few years of experience and observation:

1.  Because they can get that much for their fine weapons: they are considered in the top three of AR manufacturers.  (Remember your ABC's: Armalite, Bushmaster, and Colt)

2.  Because they want you to just buy one that is already put together, which doesn't cost MUCH more than their kits.

3.  Because most of the weapons they sell are complete: there isn't much economy of scale in their kits at this time.

I own a Bushy M4, and love it.  I'd have no other, but then, as quick as I say that, I am considering another kit from J&T, this time, an M4 with the chrome-lined barrel.  The cost is right, and with any good lower (found as low as $90 shipped on the Internet), can save about $200 or more versus a complete Bushy.

Consider either buying the complete rifle, or if you are dead-set on a kit, look at J&T, M&A, or any of the other kit sites.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 12:36:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I believe Edge 767 is right on here. A company called Pedersolli makes repro weapons. A friend of mine wanted to build a custom Sharps but to buy one of their actions cost almost as much as the complete rifle and had about a six month wait. The reason is they were the only one supplying the action he wanted and they are in business to sell guns not parts.

Another thing to look at is if you buy a Bushy kit and screw something up and resale it, it still goes back on Bushmasters name. First thing someone thinks is this Bushmaster is a piece of crap even though Bushmaster did not build it.

I would look around for a used Bushy if you want to save a few bucks but have your heart set on a Bushmaster. That is what I did. Now I am planning to build from a Mega lower and an M&A kit. Then I can compare and see if the Bushmaster was worth the extra cash.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 8:15:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I am planning on building my first AR. I really have my heart set on a Bushmaster M4.

[url]bushmaster.com/shopping/weaponskit/pwka2x14m4my.asp[/url]

I know if I don't get it excacly like I want I will buy it eventually. So it is cheaper to just do it right the first time. So why are the Bushmaster kits so expensive? Does anyone else sell these kits or do you have to buy them from Bushmaster?
View Quote

Bushmaster pricing is indexed towards their dealer network. You can buy from Bushmaster, but you will find better deals on the "larger" items/assemblies from one of their dealers.
I do buy my "bits and pieces" from BM, because most dealers don't carry the small parts, or specialty items.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 8:53:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I am considering another kit from J&T, this time, an M4 with the chrome-lined barrel.  
View Quote

I think their barrels arent chromelined, can somebody verify this?
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 6:48:13 AM EDT
[#5]
They ARE chrome lined.  It's an option for $50 more.  If you go to their website, you will find that they offer chrome lined on their 16" bbl's, but NOT on their 20" bbl's.

[:)]
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 3:00:23 PM EDT
[#6]

Just my opinion, but if I wanted a complete BM rifle, I'd just buy one already built. Given their parts costs (which you've noticed) you're not going to save any money by buying all BM parts and building one, and you'll have a warranty--which isn't a small matter if this is your first build.

But if I could live with a non-chrome-lined, but in every other way an upper assembly as good as a BM, I'd get a J&T kit. Someone else said above that they're now offering chrome lined barrels, and if you want to spend the extra $50 that's an option. All the J&T kits I have built have been absolutely first class. (While saying that, I have to qualify the statement with the note that I haven't gotten any kits from them since they became DoubleStar and began making complete rifles, and I've never shot one of their chrome lined barrels).

I do recommend your buying a complete BM lower, though. I've never personally seen a bad one.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 3:28:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/weaponskit/pwka2x14m4my.asp

View Quote

Name recognition. People will sell things for what they can. Bushmaster has a good reputation. Therefore the name will sell itself.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 4:38:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
They ARE chrome lined.  It's an option for $50 more.  If you go to their website, you will find that they offer chrome lined on their 16" bbl's, but NOT on their 20" bbl's.

[:)]
View Quote

The will be offering chrome-lined 20" bbls soon.  The last I heard it would be 8 weeks and that was about 3-4 weeks ago.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 12:29:28 AM EDT
[#9]
I've heard the same: sounds like great news to me!!!
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 2:14:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Anyone have a link to J&T?
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 3:09:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Yep got it right here on my favorites .......http://www.jtdistributing.com/index.shtml   happy shopping. BTW I've been very happy dealing with them.Just call and make sure they have all the components of your kit.It may take longer if they have to wait for some items IE. stocks,handguards .ect  [smoke]
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 7:33:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Anyone have a link to J&T?
View Quote

Right over [url=ar15.com/forums/board.html?b=2]here[/url], on the Industry Board.[;)]
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top