Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 6/17/2003 1:57:23 PM EDT
Does anyone know if the fake flash suppressor on the 16" RRA mock M4 barrel can be removed and then thread the barrel to accept the real thing? Of course this would take place if the Assault Weapons Ban was to expire.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 2:03:55 PM EDT
Good question!
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 3:42:15 PM EDT
There is a considerable splined shank that the fake flash supressor is pressed onto.This would have to be cut back and then threaded making the barrel less than 16.1" oal so the flash hider would have to be permanently attached.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 4:38:20 PM EDT
If the ban expires, the barrel can be any length. Thus, if you do what is said above, your barrel can be as short as you want it to be.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 5:33:33 PM EDT
Originally Posted By ar15zams: If the ban expires, the barrel can be any length. Thus, if you do what is said above, your barrel can be as short as you want it to be.
View Quote
What are you talking about? What part of the AWB restricts barrel length to 16"??
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 5:56:37 PM EDT
Originally Posted By ar15zams: If the ban expires, the barrel can be any length. Thus, if you do what is said above, your barrel can be as short as you want it to be.
View Quote
Wrong. The AWB covers "assault type weapons" not short barrel rifles. A NFA (national firearms act) weapon relates to any short barrelled rifles (less than 16"), short barrelled shotguns (less than 18"), any other weapons, destructive devices (i.e. grenade launchers, explosive rounds), Machine Gun (also those types of weapons that have push pin receivers that can make it easier to alter a semi-auto into a MG with a trigger pack), etc. If you shorten a rifle down with out proper forms, tax payment, and it being legal in your state, you are in violation of this and will serve time in a federal prison, and will lose all rights to own firearms, vote, and other rights that the law abiding citizens have.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 3:24:57 AM EDT
In this particular case it appears that the fake flash suppressor goes over the outside of the barrel and the barrel extends all the way to the end of the flash suppressor. I guess this is a question for RRA or Wilson as they are the ones who made the rifle/barrel. They are the ones with the drawings depicting the original dimensions of the barrel before the fake flash suppressor was installed. I was hopping that someone from the manufacture might be reading the post. Worst case I am out a barrel.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 9:08:45 AM EDT
Contact them if you would like and it will make you feel better but what I'm telling you is right.If you weren't worried about the spline showing it could be threaded or you could build a sleeve that covers the splined area.But if you want it to look right and want the proper barrel contour out to the f.h. you will need to cut it back.Contact Steve @Adco and he can send you a picture of a RRA barrel with no F.F.H.In fact if you look hard enough you can find this picture in the E.E. under a thread titled "How many M4 options do you want?" I'd post a link but I'm too ignorant.
Top Top