Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/16/2003 8:06:16 PM EDT
I am planning on installing a Hogue free floating forearm in a new upper I am building. The installation instructions are not clear as to whether or not the barrel nut is to be used or not. The Hogue photos are not very clear but do not show a barrel nut installed. Still waiting for a response from Hogue but figured someone out there knows the answer.

To barrel nut or not to barrel nut, that is the question.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 8:27:54 PM EDT
[#1]
no you do not use the stock barrel nut. the tube has a threaded end on it that replaces the original barrel nut.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 11:58:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Tac- I'm kinda interested in that forend myself- I've got a few questions for ya-

1) How do you torque the little threaded piece on? I'm assuming a strap wrench and "calibrated arm" for "torque spec." (Having seen torque specs shut down a production line- when it was demanded that tecnicians follow the exact numbers- I'm a firm believer in the "calibrated arm.")

2) How think is the rubber on the forend? What's your overall impression of the unit?

Thanks,

Pete
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 9:27:49 PM EDT
[#3]
When I put one on my son's Colt, of course the gas tube hole hit right in between two holes in the barrel nut.  Strap wrench, some cussing, and God only knows what the torque is but it's on, it works, accuracy improved over the stock forend, and it has been OK now for about three years.  The rubber is not that thick as after it was all on, we drilled and tapped the bottom of the forend for a sling swivel stud.  The aluminum is pretty thick but if I recall the rubber was maybe 1/16 inch tops.  The forend is a smaller diameter than the tube forend on my Armalite M15 A4 (T) but we like just fine.  Personally, I think a larger forend would have looked goofy on the Colt with its A2 upper.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 5:36:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Tac40, I don't know if this helps, but it's the same exact diameter as the tube on my RRA varmint upper.  I've got the Hogue tube sitting in the package, ready to go on my Armalite upper as soon as Brownell's sends me the armourers tool.  

I like the feel of the tube...it certainly doesn't feel spongy, but it's got a nice "grippy" feel to it.  I think you'll be happy with it.  

I've got fairly small hands, and the feel of these tubes is perfect for me.  Plus, they sit in the front bag (I shoot mainly from the bench) pretty good as well.  
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 2:09:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the input. It really helped. Now for your questions:

Quoted:
Tac- I'm kinda interested in that forend myself- I've got a few questions for ya-

1) How do you torque the little threaded piece on? I'm assuming a strap wrench and "calibrated arm" for "torque spec." (Having seen torque specs shut down a production line- when it was demanded that tecnicians follow the exact numbers- I'm a firm believer in the "calibrated arm.")

2) How think is the rubber on the forend? What's your overall impression of the unit?

Thanks,

Pete
View Quote

According to Hogue you must use a strap wrench. The torque spec is 30 ft/lbs. While I was in the Navy, they taught us how to use comparison torqueing. Since my strap wrench is almost as long a my torque wrench, I just did 30 ft/lbs in the vice then used the strap wrench for the same effort. Max torque is 80 ft/lbs so I don't think a strap wrench will break anything.

I love the sticky rubber feel of Hogue grips. And on my AR especially. Out here in SC, very few ranges are covered and grabbing a weapon after it has been sitting in the sun for a while can be a painful experience. The rubber covering of one AR I handled kept the burns to a minimum. It seems pretty thick, and Hogue's web site stated it should last for many years as long as it isn't abused. Cleanup is by using WD-40.

Oh by the way, this thing is going on a 16" 300 Whisper that I am building. I am using a full length fore arm instead of the carbine length. I think it looks ok. I'll post some pics when I am done with it.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top