Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 6/13/2003 5:47:08 PM EDT
I know this sounds like a stupid question but im a newbie. Is there a special lower for a pre ban gun? In other words would this regular lower fit on a pre ban gun? Is there anything special i need to do?

================================
Never underestmate the power of stupid people in large groups.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 4:21:34 AM EDT
the only diff, between a PREBAN lower and a post ban lower is the build date..if it was built B4 9/94 than it is preban and ya can put preban upper, flash hider , bayo lug, tele stock..but if it was built afta the 9/94 date, than ya have a post ban and CAN NOT put preban features on it, if ya buy a preban upper for a post ban lower, you must remove bayo lug, and have a muzzle brake welded or pinned on. other wise they are the exactly the same , EXCEPT , that colt had sum kinda funy pin size up front to join the 2 halves, and i dont know if this effects pre/post ban statis, dont own a colt so i dont know bout the pinhole sizing.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 9:41:21 AM EDT
After the official marking regulations came into effect, receivers produced after the ban have to have the year of manufacture on the receiver or as part of the serial number. The marking regs came out sometime in 1995, so for perhaps a year, there were post-ban guns made without the year in the serial or on the receiver. Similarly, receivers produced before the ban but never assembled into complete firearms or complete kits will not have a year notation on the receiver, but are still considered post-ban. If it's got a post-94 date on the receiver, it's definitely post-ban, but absence of a date on the receiver does not by itself establish a gun as pre-ban.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 11:31:25 AM EDT
You guys be careful - I did some corresponding with the BATF on a few SKS questions about stocks and fixed magazines and found out pre-ban means unmodified with original parts. If you start adding new stuff, the rifle has been modified and (right or wrong) in their view is new manufacture... just as if you'd built it yourself! We all know this whole AW law is garbage - i.e. if it has a bayo lug and pistol grip (along with semi-auto and removable mags) it's an AW. (I can't remember the last time anyone was bayoneted to death on a subway) But - just be careful and don't get yourself into trouble.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 1:42:37 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Circuits: After the official marking regulations came into effect, receivers produced after the ban have to have the year of manufacture on the receiver or as part of the serial number. The marking regs came out sometime in 1995, so for perhaps a year, there were post-ban guns made without the year in the serial or on the receiver. Similarly, receivers produced before the ban but never assembled into complete firearms or complete kits will not have a year notation on the receiver, but are still considered post-ban. If it's got a post-94 date on the receiver, it's definitely post-ban, but absence of a date on the receiver does not by itself establish a gun as pre-ban.
View Quote
Huh?? You must be thinking of AK imports, or AR MAGAZINES, because none of my three post ban AR recievers, all produced between 1997 and 2002, have any sort of production date. Not separately nor as part of the serial no.
Top Top