Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/13/2003 8:51:42 AM EDT
I need help i want to buy a new AR but i cant decide if i need a standerd 20 inch a3 kit or a varmiter. If I use a 20 inch a3 kit will i be able to use it longer range for praie dogs? My setup would be

1)stinger arms lower
2)J&T kit 20in a3 or varmiter

PLZ help
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 9:15:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Just my thoughts.

I had a HEAVY stainless match barrel for varmint hunting.  It was just too heavy for everything other than range work. If you do much moving or walking when hunting praire dogs you will notice it very quickly.

I now have a chromoly HBAR. It's much lighter and easier to handle and it still shoots GREAT.

I vote for 20 inch A3.

This is it.
[img]http://www.hunt101.com/img/047933.jpg[/img]
Here's a 100 yd group, this is the norm NOT the exception if I do my part.
[img]http://www.hunt101.com/img/040107.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 10:30:21 AM EDT
[#2]
I had thought about getting a varmint rifle and Darrell at D-M talked me out of it for the same reasons, TOO heavy.  
Not much better accuracy than a 20".  FF tubes add weight also.  My 16" mid length feels alot lighter than my 20"s with ff tubes.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 1:20:53 PM EDT
[#3]
A longer 20" or 24" non-bull barrel free floated upper would be a good compromise. The bull barrel would heat up slower and give you a bit more consitant shots in a long string but the wieght makes it really too much to carry around (for fun).

The 24" barrel is going to give you a tad more velocity and get that bullet to the p'dog that much faster - more retained energy, less bullet drop and wind factor.

Free floating a barrel is the first thing a varmit/target shooter is going to do to step up his rifle. You'll typically have to remove the front sight and replace the handguards and delta ring - so why not just get it done right the first time for about $80 extra rather than buying the second set of parts and spending the labor.

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top